[SOLVED] My computer shutsdown when under load.

Jun 11, 2020
Just looking for someone else's opinion on the situation as I'm pretty sure ive solved it but just want some confimation on what im thinking Thanks.

So I built a new PC
i7 9700
ROG STRIX RX570
GigabyteZ390 UD Mother bored
MWE Gold 650 PSU

Now I built this about a month ago and have had no problems until yesterday I was playing fortnite and the computer suddenly turn off, It would then try to boot again with the fans and lights turning on for 1 second and then turning off again and repeating until i pull the plug, once plugged back in it runs fine.
I thought this would be my PSU causing problems but my computer dosn't crash when under load as i played DayZ for 4 hours without and trouble but fortnite died within 30 minutes.
So then i tried to stress test both my CPU and GPU at the same time to see if that load would cause the power supply to fail but after 40minutes of monitoring it did not. I still feel rather certain its the PSU that needs replacing but thought I should get some expert opinions first on anything else that could cause this.

Thanks.

Solution
Does it always/only do it during Fortnite? It's possible, though unlikely due to your stress testing that it's temperature related. Full shut off is commonly overheat protection, but it could be that it's not your CPU/GPU that's causing it - maybe chipset or VRM overheat?

Only other thing I can think of would be a ground issue - does your power bar have a ground indicator/'protected' light on it? If not, maybe replace it with a decent surge protector first. It's a cheap investment that can solve a handful of minor problems with PC's.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Does it always/only do it during Fortnite? It's possible, though unlikely due to your stress testing that it's temperature related. Full shut off is commonly overheat protection, but it could be that it's not your CPU/GPU that's causing it - maybe chipset or VRM overheat?

Only other thing I can think of would be a ground issue - does your power bar have a ground indicator/'protected' light on it? If not, maybe replace it with a decent surge protector first. It's a cheap investment that can solve a handful of minor problems with PC's.

Reactions: Haxor btw
Solution