My Computer Started Shutting Down without warning,
It's about 7-8 years old
ASRock Z77 Pro 3
i5 3330 - 3.0 GHz Quad (3.2 Turbo)
16 GB RAM running @ 1600
2 GB GeForce GTX 950
1 256 GB SSD
1 10 TB HDD
There is absolutely no warning whatsoever, no shut down or blue screen, just instant black screen and dead pc, which does start back up and work again.
CPU heated up over time, it was in the 30's when purchased, now it heats up to 50 degrees C.
Any ideas what it could be?
Power Supply? (it shuts down without ANY warning, motherboard does not beep when powering back on)
Motherboard?
CPU?
I don't know and it's not bad enough to take into a shop yet.

Last edited:
Solution
1st suspect when experiencing those symptoms should be the power supply, and if it's equally as old as the rest of your build, then it's definitely time to replace it.
Do you have a budget?

CPU heated up over time, it was in the 30's when purchased, now it heats up to 50 degrees C.
Are you cleaning out your PC on a regular basis? Accumulated dust will impede cooling ability.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1st suspect when experiencing those symptoms should be the power supply, and if it's equally as old as the rest of your build, then it's definitely time to replace it.
Do you have a budget?

Are you cleaning out your PC on a regular basis? Accumulated dust will impede cooling ability.

Solution
Sep 4, 2019
Im having the same issue however ive tried a new power supply no fix. Even replaced my gpu no fix. My computer only shuts off when playing rainbow six siege but my temps are running around 75-83C when playing that.

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Do you have a budget?

Hmmm I noticed it tends to be when it heats up, like even if I have the room temperature higher. You still think it could be the PSU?
I can't afford much, i was hoping someone could point it out, but I guess I'll wait until its untolerable and take it in for diagnosis.
Also, yes I also clean it out regularly and just changed thermal paste with a new CPU fan.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You still think it could be the PSU?
Yes, especially if it's as old as the rest of your build. They do degrade over time = lower max output.
There aren't too many ways to test aside from getting a new unit...
-remove the gpu and see if you still experience sudden shutoffs
-run the games on low settings - disregard this if you're already doing this though

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Hey, thanks.
I am thinking of buying this: Thermaltake TR2 W0441N (from canada's .ca version of that site)
but it looks like if i install it the fan would be covered by the top of the case. Can you just turn them upside down or what?

EDITED:
Nevermind, I ordered a PSU to try. I have to flip it upside down but found that is ok.

Last edited:

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
My case was made for PSU's to be installed on the top, but I can't find any of those anywhere.
I am gonna try and screw it in upside down...
if not, do you think it would be ok to just have it sitting down at the bottom of the case under the Video card, or outside of the case?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My case was made for PSU's to be installed on the top, but I can't find any of those anywhere.
Cases with that design have been done away with, for the most part.
The vast majority of cases today are set to mount the psu at the bottom, with the fan positioned downwards, so as to pull air in from that direction.

if not, do you think it would be ok to just have it sitting down at the bottom of the case under the Video card, or outside of the case?
Depends on how close the the gpu sits to the psu. Is there at least 25mm of free space away from the gpu's fan(s)?

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
yeah the case is pretty old, i got it from a custom computer store, because it was one of the cheaper ones lol and it still looks nice too.

I found a interchangeable PSU (flips around with extra holes for top or bottom mount) for not too much more money, and canceled the other order :)

So, I won't have a problem, AND i can use it in a new case too later! :) It's only 600 watts but its all i could find to go in the top of a case lol.

As far as the 25 mm space, that won't be needed, but no I don't think there would be that much, it would barely fit in there and both the PSU and GPU fans would be directly on top of the other lol i'm very thankful i found the better PSU !

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As far as the 25 mm space, that won't be needed, but no I don't think there would be that much, it would barely fit in there and both the PSU and GPU fans would be directly on top of the other lol i'm very thankful i found the better PSU !
No, I was asking if there were any nearby obstacles in front of the gpu fan. It should have at the very least, 25mm of breathing room.

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
I don't need to put the PSU down there anymore, I found one that can be installed on the bottom normally OR flipped around and installed in the top of a case. I will put it in the top.
So the space between the Video card and where I was going to put the PSU doesn't matter anymore. But yes it would have been a very tight squeeze, and the both fans would be pointed directly into each other right almost touching each other, with the PSU not even screwed in lol.
Really glad I found this one, here: Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W
I can flip it around if/when I get a new case.

Last edited:

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
I haven't got the PSU yet but I'm just wondering

Could the heat of the processor or motherboard cause the PC to shut down without any warning (without blue screen or any screen, just off and then back on by itself after a few seconds)

How do I find out what temperature my CPU would stop itself at?
i noticed a Temperature Shutdown Option (not sure exactly what it's called) in my BIOS but there is no temperature setting, just on or off.

I've never seen my CPU above 50 degrees, i just turned the heat up in the house to see and with that extra 3 degrees around the case, it shuts down.

It could still be the PSU? i'm scratching my head... why do I think I remember the CPU max temp was 50 degrees C when that sounds so low and the same processor now has a way higher temp? Can that be, or am I just plain wrong? lol please tell me I am wrong lol.

i5-3330 on AsRock Z77 Pro3

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-3330.html
Maximum operating temperature 67.4°C (case)
105°C (junction)
Junction would be considered shutdown temp, and any core temperatures exceeding 70C would be overheating - is what I gathered from that.

Throttle temp for the GTX 950 is 95C.

As an additional note, power supplies can also overheat and shut off.
How to tell the difference though? Easy. You won't be able to power the PC on right away until after a certain period of time has passed. General causes:
-poor quality psu: they'll have lower max operating thresholds than the good ones
-improper placement in case, such as blocking the unit's intake fan
-running hardware that the psu is not equipped to handle, or not having 'the right tool for the job': Many of the cheaper power supplies out there are not designed to handle the heavy stress of gaming loads. They were intended for home/office use.
Gaming loads: power loads are in constant flux = harder for psu's to deal with
Light tasks/office work: a steady, low power load throughout = piece of cake for any unit to handle

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-3330.html
Maximum operating temperature67.4°C (case)
105°C (junction)
Junction would be considered shutdown temp, and any core temperatures exceeding 70C would be overheating - is what I gathered from that.

Throttle temp for the GTX 950 is 95C.

As an additional note, power supplies can also overheat and shut off.
How to tell the difference though? Easy. You won't be able to power the PC on right away until after a certain period of time has passed. General causes:
-poor quality psu: they'll have lower max operating thresholds than the good ones
-improper placement in case, such as blocking the unit's intake fan
-running hardware that the psu is not equipped to handle, or not having 'the right tool for the job': Many of the cheaper power supplies out there are not designed to handle the heavy stress of gaming loads. They were intended for home/office use.
Gaming loads: power loads are in constant flux = harder for psu's to deal with
Light tasks/office work: a steady, low power load throughout = piece of cake for any unit to handle

my PC does turn back on within a few seconds, does that mean it is NOT the power supply? grrrr lol

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
I see :) Thanks for everything Phaaze88, you helped me quite a bit :) I'll make sure to come back and let you know if it works after I get this PSU delivered and installed...

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Installed the new PSU today, after a couple hours still no shut downs, I think I'm safe, I was even playing Skyrim which I couldn't do because of the shutting down! :) it's a really cool PSU with changeable color LED lights and the whole design is flippable for mounting on top or bottom of the case.

i also ordered a new Motherboard and CPU since its all 6 years old (i thought it was 7-8 years old but I found the receipt). The hard drives have been replaced and the memory also was replaced this year through the lifetime warranty. So basically it's the same PC only difference is the CPU i5-3330 3.0 Quad 3.2 Turbo upgraded to i5-3470 3.2 Quad 3.6 Turbo. It might make a bit of difference, but at least the whole PC is renewed and I got some kick butt deals!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Reactions: Phaaze88