Question My computer stops working for a few weeks then starts working again after a few weeks. What could be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2021
I have a problem that is quite strange. Every now and then I'll wake up and try to turn on my computer and there is no fan spin at all. It only happens when it has been shut down, it never crashes when it is on. This has happened four times in the past six months. I've tried resetting the bios every time it happens as well as checking the power supply with a paperclip. The power supply works but after resetting the bios and trying to reseat or remove one stick of RAM doesn't seem to make any difference. What puzzles me is that about two weeks later on average (it took four months one of the times and two days another), it turns on and works perfectly with no signs of damage. I did get a fail to post with fan spin once but the GPU indicator light was on so I reseated the GPU and everything was fine. I didn't see any errors either. I have also turned off fastboot as this has seemed to work for other people with a similar problem but it hasn't worked for me.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
GPU: msi GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (x2)
PSU: Corsair CX550 (80 Plus Bronze)
SSD: WD Blue 250GB SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
(I also have a Gigabyte GC-WB1733D network card)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can see if you breadboard it if it still gives problems, also might indicate if the pc case's power button is bad. Might just be good to rebuild it, look with the manual besides you that all is connected well and in the right slots (like ram).

There is a pretty recent bios, Version 5837 from 2021/02/09, would be good to flash that.

Feb 12, 2021
Can see if you breadboard it if it still gives problems, also might indicate if the pc case's power button is bad. Might just be good to rebuild it, look with the manual besides you that all is connected well and in the right slots (like ram).

There is a pretty recent bios, Version 5837 from 2021/02/09, would be good to flash that.
I have tried booting outside the case with one RAM stick and no graphics card but still no response when I short the power switch pins, apart from the orange power indicator light, there are no indicator lights or beeps.

Feb 12, 2021

I will try to flash an updated bios when it starts working again. Thanks for the help

Feb 12, 2021
"PSU: Corsair CX550 (80 Plus Bronze) "

First step would be to grab a quality supply...something Gold rated in the 600-700w range.
I would try a different brand of PSU. It sounds like it is recovering after sitting long enough to discharge all of the capacitors.

I don't have another PSU on hand right now, I will look into getting a better one if nothing else works and if the problem persists. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2021
I would try a different brand of PSU. It sounds like it is recovering after sitting long enough to discharge all of the capacitors.
There is no PSU fan spin at all, when I short the correct connectors using a paper clip, it seems to turn on normally which is why I am not sure what is wrong.

Feb 12, 2021
Intermittent PSU issue would be my guess. The paperclip test only tests if the PSU will respond to a start request...it doesn't help you if a component has gone flaky in the PSU.
It does look like that may be the issue, today it booted and I am trying to flash an updated bios.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021
Have you checked to be sure that your front panel connector and most importantly your power/reset button are on the board properly?
Have you tried to power the computer on just by shorting the pins with the tip of a screw driver?
Yes I have tried all these things, a few times to try to get it to work, none have helped so far. Thanks for your response.

Feb 12, 2021
Look in Reliability History.

The timeline format may reveal a pattern of errors that correspond with the computer's working/non-working history.

If there are timeline groups of frequent and varying errors when the computer is not working then the PSU is indeed suspect.

Also:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
When the computer is not working, there are no errors at all in reliability history, the only errors are described as app crashes and unsuccessful installations, which I don't think is a problem. The app crashes are because I use some experimental software and I don't think it is cause for concern. Also, there is only about 10 days of history shown, is that normal?
Thanks for your reply. I will also try to get a multimeter to test my PSU manually.

Ralston18

Titan
"Experimental" software.

That is just that. There are likely logic, design, and coding errors.

Probably little or no compatibility testing with respect to host OS systems and other applications.

What is the nature of that experimental software?

Software should be tested on a designated and expendable host computer. One that can be easily wiped and restored to some base configuration.

========

There should be more than ten days of history. My system history goes back about 4 months. Note the "View by Weeks/Days" option. Upper left chart corner.

Feb 12, 2021
"Experimental" software.

That is just that. There are likely logic, design, and coding errors.

Probably little or no compatibility testing with respect to host OS systems and other applications.

What is the nature of that experimental software?

Software should be tested on a designated and expendable host computer. One that can be easily wiped and restored to some base configuration.

========

There should be more than ten days of history. My system history goes back about 4 months. Note the "View by Weeks/Days" option. Upper left chart corner.

I installed this software fairly recently and have been having this problem long before I did, so I do not think it is the source of the problem.

My reliability history is only since the 10th of January, before that, there is no blue graph and no errors or information.

Status
Not open for further replies.