[SOLVED] My computer will not start boot after installing a new motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 20, 2020
Hi. Just installed a new motherboard, CPU and RAM in my computer, and now it will not boot windows. i have been searching the internet and everywhere people are sugesting to check the "UEFI hard disk drive BBS Priorities". However i can't find out where to do it. I have seen screenshots on the MSI website where to find it. However, the option isn't there for me.

The SSD with the OS is visible in BIOS. I have also tried to press F11, the MSI website said i should be able to choose device there. However, I only had the option to open setup.

This is the link to the MSI webpage:

[https://www.msi.com/support/technic...m/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_OS_Entry)

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Plus

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 X

Solution
After removing the drive letter for the empty (E: )(D: ) partition, you can also change the drive letter of the (E: ) partition (the one with files) to (D: ) and that may return your system to the way you had it previously. You might find some shortcuts are broken if you don't make that change too.
Oct 20, 2020
Please note what I added :) If you don't see the new drive in Windows, My PC, you may have to give it a drive letter.
The drive is showing, and all my files are there. However it is showing that i have conected an extra drive tjat i do not know what is. Its called "(E:)(D:)" It shows 314 MB of 349 MB free. I only have to drives, what is this third one?

The drive is showing, and all my files are there. However it is showing that i have conected an extra drive tjat i do not know what is. Its called "(E:)(D:)" It shows 314 MB of 349 MB free. I only have to drives, what is this third one?
hah...I can imagine that second drive had two partitions on it, one you didn't know about previously.

So you know: any drive can be 'partitioned' and each partition formatted to make a discrete 'drive' with a separate drive letter. That must have happened to that one at some time in the past and you didn't know it. It frequently happens by the mfr to store some utilities on or recovery files and various other things.

So what to do with a 350MB drive...which is ultra-tiny in todays world and really unuseable. You can combine the two partitions using the Drive Manager utility. Or just forget about it.

ADDED: also, some (usually older) SSD's set aside some space that would be kept empty and never be used to keep the SSD from slowing down as it got filled up (a unique problem of SSD's that's different from how HDD's work.) That could be the case here. I'd remove the drive letter and not use it ever; leave it empty. Probably better still to delete the partition and leave it as unallocated space.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020
It does look to be a partition of Disk 1. What's a mystery to me is why it has two drive letters... both D: and E: D: makes sense, but E: belongs to the 2nd partition on that disk too.

Have you looked on D: to see if there are any files? and as well on E:
There are no files on D:

E: is my main storage disk and it has all the files i had before the upgrade (i.e. programs, documents, games, etc.)

USAFRet

Titan
It does look to be a partition of Disk 1. What's a mystery to me is why it has two drive letters... both D: and E: D: makes sense, but E: belongs to the 2nd partition on that disk too.

Have you looked on D: to see if there are any files? and as well on E:
Of the (E: ) (D: )...I'm thinking the E part of that is a label that was created, not the actual drive letter.

After removing the drive letter for the empty (E: )(D: ) partition, you can also change the drive letter of the (E: ) partition (the one with files) to (D: ) and that may return your system to the way you had it previously. You might find some shortcuts are broken if you don't make that change too.

Solution