My computer won't boot after I reinstalled CPU cooler

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Worm20

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
■ I just replaced my coolermaster Hyper 101 with the 212 EVO on my FX-8350. Now when I turn it on, all the fans turn on, but my monitors stay black. I only have power, keyboard, and a monitor plugged in. It was working before, but it was staying at 50°C when idle. The only thing that I can think of is when I cleaned off my processor with alcohol, I did use a but much. Could some have gotten in there and cause this?

Solution

Worm20

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I was thinking the same thing so I put the GPU in a new slot to see if that would fix it. I was thinking however does the ram have to be in the first slot or can I put it in any slot I like?

Also, if it was a video error, my keyboard and mouse would still light up(which they don't)?

Worm20

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I have 2x4gig cards and 2x2gig cards. I took them all out except for one 2gig card. It won't fit in slot 1 because of the CPU. So I've tried all the other slots.

Worm20

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

It still doesn't boot. How likely is the motherboard broken? Before I got my new fan, with the old fan and processor, my CPU got to be about 90°C under load, then auto shutdown. It would still boot after that and worked fine apart from being about 50°C on idle. Could that have damaged the socket?

cmi86

Distinguished
Just to double check but go through and make 100% sure that you have all of the connections made inside the case. The fact you get power and all that but no beeps and no boot sounds a lot like you either forgot to or did not fully connect the auxiliary CPU power connector 4/6/8 pin located to the left of the CPu socket towards the top of the board. Also a dime sized amount of thermal paste is way too much and if the paste is conductive and leaked out due to the amount that could cause issues too. Try removing the heatsink and looking for overflow of the paste touching the board. If so clean off using 80% alcohol and re apply with a grain of rice sized amount.

Edit** missed your last post. Glad you got it all figured out.