[SOLVED] My computer won't connect to the router when using ethernet cable

Jan 30, 2019
My computer won't connect to my router with a ethernet cable, I have other computers in my house that works fine with the ethernet cable but my computer won't connect to the router with the ethernet cable. I have tried using other ethernet cables that have worked fine on other computers in the house but won't work on my computer.

Haven't had internet on my computer for the last 3 days and would really appreciate if anyone has a solution.

Solution
Ok ... so the either the DHCP client (on the PC) is not working or the DHCP server (on the router) is not working. Since you only have one computer that is acting up, I would think the issue is with the PC, but since you had trouble with the router, then it the problem is less clear (especially if you have very long DHCP lease times ... the time before a device asks to renew it's IP address).

What happens if you manually enter an IP address. You will want to use one that no other computer is using. It might be best to log into the router and see what the DHCP lease range is and pick an address outside the range. For example, if the range is 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100, then pick 192.168.0.101. Use your router's IP address as the...
This could be a hardware problem like a bad port (or even dust in the port) or a failed controller chip.

This could also be a software problem like a corrupt driver or network stack.

If the indicator lights on the Ethernet port are lighting up, then it is probably a software issue. I am assume you have already tried to ping the router and verified that you are not getting an IP address via DHCP. If so, then start by reinstalling the driver and then reset the network stack. Otherwise you might be dealing with a DNS issue rather than an IP issue.

If cable, router and driver ruled out, all that remains is the port, or the controller.

Jan 30, 2019

I have reinstalled the driver but what do you mean by "reset the network stash"?
Edit: The light on the ethernet port is lit

So I wrote some assumptions, but I don't know if you checked on them ... do you have an IP address? (you can use ipconfig /all to check). Is it an appropriate IP address for your network? (If other computers have an address like 192.168.0.x, then this computer should too). Can you ping? Start with "ping 127.0.0.1" ... this will ping your own computer. Next try to ping your router. Then try "ping google.com". Do any of those work?

Jan 30, 2019

I have a ipv4 address but I don't have a default gateway ip and if I try to ping my router or google.com the packets are sent but non are received.

Did you manually enter the IP address? If you use the same address as another computer, you will have all kinds of problems. It's generally better to get the address automatically, which should include a gateway.

What happens if you do "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew"?

Jan 30, 2019

if I use the command ipconfig /release, cmd's response is:
"an error occurred while releasing interface ethernet : An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.

Ok ... no DHCP then. What happened 3 days ago? Did you install anything like security software? You never mentioned any error messages ... do you see any? Have you looked at the windows log?

You could try a system restore from a restore point more than 3 days ago.

If that does not work, you could try manually entering an IP address.

Jan 30, 2019
1 day before the ethernet stopped working our router temporarily stopped so we moved it downstairs and after that the computer worked for a day and then it stopped working again. But we have a computer that's connected to the same switch as my computer and it's working fine.

Ok ... so the either the DHCP client (on the PC) is not working or the DHCP server (on the router) is not working. Since you only have one computer that is acting up, I would think the issue is with the PC, but since you had trouble with the router, then it the problem is less clear (especially if you have very long DHCP lease times ... the time before a device asks to renew it's IP address).

What happens if you manually enter an IP address. You will want to use one that no other computer is using. It might be best to log into the router and see what the DHCP lease range is and pick an address outside the range. For example, if the range is 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100, then pick 192.168.0.101. Use your router's IP address as the gateway address. You will also need DNS servers. You can use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google DNS servers),

https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-to-set-a-static-IP-address-in-Windows

Solution
Jan 30, 2019

Doing this and reinstalling the network driver made it work, Thank you for your help!