My computer won't recognize there is an Ethernet cable plugged in

Erice1996

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
I have a an Ethernet cable (that I have tested on my laptop so I know it works) plugged into my computer and the light blinks green in the back but it won't let me connect to the internet or even recognize a cable is plugged in. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Does the switch or router port also light up?

Some cards have green mode that causes the port to now work if nothing is on the other end. I have seen some times when this feature back fires if the router/switch has the same feature(they are both expecting a signal from each other).

You should also ensure you have the latest drivers from the card or motherboard makers web site.

Erice1996

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
P.S. : I've had this problem before and apparently the port was turned off and I was able to turn it back on by doing a diagnose and repair. But this time the repair doesn't fix it. Is there a way to manually check? If so how?

Normally the Green Ethernet thing would cause no light, it looks like a dead cable(Green Ethernet, not your issue.)

Has this computers network card worked in the past? Has anything been changed on the system like an OS reinstall.

If it is older, maybe you have a crossover cable or something(some older hardware does not work right with crossover cables, while most new hardware will auto adapt to it).

Erice1996

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Yeah it just stopped working one day and I fixed it like I had said earlier, but this time I can't fix it. I'll try to check if the drivers are up to date and I'll post my findings.

You can check under device manager
Start + R and type devmgmt.msc

It will be under Network adapters.

If the latest did not help, it may be something else.

You may need to go into basics. I hate to recommend changing what seems to be a good cable, but we are running low on options.

Erice1996

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

There's no tab for network adapters. Maybe that's the problem?

And Windows can still tell you a cable is not connected?

Should have looked something like this(guess I have no portable devices on this system :))

2nupydu.png

Erice1996

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Well it just doesn't recognize there is a wired connection and yeah it looks just like that but no network adapter tab. I should also note that it won't connect to the internet when I use my iPhones portable hotspot connected via USB

I have not seem HP system used any kind of green networking or anything. I know Nvidia had a strange setup in the past for networking(nforce firewall/ect).

I will see how the network card shows up on an old Compaq since it was an older HP system as well(HP owns Compaq after all).

I do not have good news. The older(XP system, but it has an Nforce based chipset and realtek based network card) system I checked DOES show network cards in the same spot as my newer systems.

I almost have to wonder if some kind of hardware failure has happened with the onboard network card.

What do you see

If you felt adventurous, I would recommend trying a live CD/DVD of Linux. Live CD's do not install as long as you run them in live mode(they are not fast because they run off the cd/dvd, but they to work). They tend to have drivers for almost everything and at least if the network card worked on it, you would know it is a Windows issue and not a hardware failure issue.

Erice1996

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Well no internet seems to be the least of my problems. Now when I turn it on it just has a black screen. Yes the monitor is plugged in.. Guess the motherboard is going on it. Time for a new computer.