Question My computer won't turn on

Mar 26, 2019
So I just finished building my PC and when I want to turn it on nothing happens. The mobo has the rog logo and it lights up when is plugged but nothing else does, not even the fans, and I tried the paper clip thing but with a pair of scissors (idk if that would work). The 8-pin connector is connected with a 6-pin set and a 2-pin set from the PSU (600 watts) but the shapes don't match (idk if that matters)
The pins are connected correctly in the system panel but it won't start. I tried disconnecting everything that's not necessary and nothing. What could it be?

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Did you also connect the correct CPU power (normally one or two 4 or one 8 pin power connector that has a socket not far from the CPU, not 6+2 pins)? Normally it is two 4 pin connectors that you can attach together to make on 8 pin (slide them into each other).
What PSU are you using?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Asus B450 F Gaming
Ryzen 5 2600
2x 8GB RAM DDR4 Corsair vengeance RGB
NVIDIA GTX 1050
Seagate 2TB Barracuda HDD
Edge Systems Z600, 600 watts power supply

Nothing obviously off, with the exception of the dodgy power supply.

I'm highly concerned with how your describe connecting your power supply. A GTX 1050 shouldn't need a connector and if you've stuffed a PCIE 6+2 pin connector into a 8-pin CPU connector, you've done something horribly wrong which could very well destroy or already have destroyed some of your components. CPU connectors are never offered in 6+2 pin. If this is what you did, it's the equivalent of somebody needing a liver transplant and a doctor shoving a kidney in there instead.

Reactions: McKeu

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Your PSU only has one 4 pin cpu connector, while most motherboards require two of those to make one of 8 pins:
1 x 24 PIN ATX, 1 x 4 PIN CPU 12V, 3 x SATA, 2 x MOLEX, 1 x FLOPPY, 1 PCIE 6+2

You need a PSU with 2x4 PIN CPU. If you forced the 6+2 PCI Express power into the CPU power socket (although they are made to not fit specifically so no one messes it up), you might, in worst case, have fried some components.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zerk_Bubbles
Mar 26, 2019
Your PSU only has one 4 pin cpu connector, while most motherboards require two of those to make one of 8 pins:
1 x 24 PIN ATX, 1 x 4 PIN CPU 12V, 3 x SATA, 2 x MOLEX, 1 x FLOPPY, 1 PCIE 6+2

You need a PSU with 2x4 PIN CPU. If you forced the 6+2 PCI Express power into the CPU power socket (although they are made to not fit specifically so no one messes it up), you might, in worst case, have fried some components.
Well the 6-pin PCIE part fitted, or at least I made it to. I guess I'll have to get a PSU as well and hope that everything else is fine. You see the computer I'm working on is an old one I wanted to upgrade. First I bought the GPU and it worked, but when I wanted to get a new cpu I saw that I needed a new mobo and ram as well, so I did, but never saw nothing about the PSU so I supposed the one I had would work. I think you just cleared this big doubt I had and thank you so much, really <3
I'll try to get one tomorrow

Reactions: McKeu

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well the 6-pin PCIE part fitted, or at least I made it to. I guess I'll have to get a PSU as well and hope that everything else is fine. You see the computer I'm working on is an old one I wanted to upgrade. First I bought the GPU and it worked, but when I wanted to get a new cpu I saw that I needed a new mobo and ram as well, so I did, but never saw nothing about the PSU so I supposed the one I had would work. I think you just cleared this big doubt I had and thank you so much, really <3
I'll try to get one tomorrow

With the right wiring, you can connect your genitals to your power outlet. I would not recommend doing so.

In the future, be careful you know what you're connecting to what. An attempt to connect a PCIE connector to a CPU should never be made. Nor should you "make things fit." These are sensitive components.

Reactions: Zerk_Bubbles
Mar 26, 2019
With the right wiring, you can connect your genitals to your power outlet. I would not recommend doing so.

In the future, be careful you know what you're connecting to what. An attempt to connect a PCIE connector to a CPU should never be made. Nor should you "make things fit." These are sensitive components.
Ye I know, I think I just was impatient to use it and ignorant about what type of connectors these were. Thank you so much for your advice and information.