Question My core VID&speed are very unstable

Jun 27, 2019
Hello, I use CPU-z to monitor my hardware status and it turns out that my CPU core vid dramatically changes to any number between 1.281 and 0.667 and at the same time my core speed would alter to any number between 3889 and 789. Do you know what is wrong with my CPU? I own Alienware 17 R5, i7-8750

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu is thermal throttling, i.e., overheating and clocking down to protect itself, but this reduces performance.
Take care not to block the vents underneath, and on the sides of the laptop, as this will easily choke it and cause throttling. You may want to consider getting one of those laptop cooling pads.
Also it wouldn't hurt to get a can of compressed air and use it on those vents to blow out any dust that will have collected.

What are your temps like while using it?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019
The cpu is thermal throttling, i.e., overheating and clocking down to protect itself, but this reduces performance.
Take care not to block the vents underneath, and on the sides of the laptop, as this will easily choke it and cause throttling. You may want to consider getting one of those laptop cooling pads.
Also it wouldn't hurt to get a can of compressed air and use it on those vents to blow out any dust that will have collected.

What are your temps like while using it?
Hello, I use Throttlestop to monitor the temp, and while I am gaming, the temp can go as high as 92C

Jun 27, 2019
I think it's labelled Vcore or core voltage. But I don't know if that's really going to tell you anything on its own, I was just pointing out that it's more useful to look compared to looking at VID as you mentioned in your first post.
Okay, but the only thing that is related to core voltage is the GPU core voltage, somehow I don’t see the CPU core voltage or VCore

Jun 27, 2019
I'd be highly surprised if it wasn't there, but like I said it's not critical.

What exactly are you doing on your laptop when the CPU is fluctuating between 3889 and 789? What is the temperature you see just before the clock speed dips?
Basically in the idle mode. And I can’t answer your second question because I don’t know what is the clock speed dips

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Having the clock speed fluctuate between 800 and 4000 MHz while idling or doing basic desktop stuff is normal. The CPU speed will ramp up whenever it needs to do something (you launch a program, load a webpage, or some process does something in the background) and then return to idle speed once it finishes.

TRENDING THREADS