[SOLVED] My Corsair TX650m exploded after 3 months of usage, help me figure out the cause

manpreet66

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
First event: PC shut down after a loud bang sound & a flash of light coming from the case. But it turned on again & worked normally.
Second event: 8 days later computer shut down again but this time with 3 bangs. I try to turn it on afterwards but as soon as I turn on the wall switch, another bang happens & I notice some smoke coming out of rear side of the PSU. PC never turns on again.

What could have caused it? I suspect one of three possibilities.

1: Just a bad unit.
2: Power cord: Since the supplied power cord was not compatible with sockets in my region, I was using my monitor's power cord which is of the same type. But this cord has powered my monitor for 8 years & the new pc for 3 months & has survived the PSU death so it seems unlikely to be the culprit.
3: UPS: Due to frequent power outages, I use an APC 1100va UPS. I have heard how bad UPS can damage psu. But this same UPS has powered my older Seasonic s12 PSU for 3 years without issues and an older APC model powered it for more than 5 years without issues. So if an older PSU can deal with these UPSs for almost a decade how can a new & highly reputed TX650m not handle them for even 3 months?

So what do you think is the most likely reason for the death of my PSU?

Solution
I think the PSU probably died on it's own.
I doubt it was the power cord because I think it would have to be a very rare scenario to be the power cord.....and I don't think it was the UPS....UNLESS the UPS is itself faulty.....but I would think it MORE likely the PSU was faulty....as even a faulty GPS doesn't necessarily have to damage the PSU.
I think the PSU probably died on it's own.
I doubt it was the power cord because I think it would have to be a very rare scenario to be the power cord.....and I don't think it was the UPS....UNLESS the UPS is itself faulty.....but I would think it MORE likely the PSU was faulty....as even a faulty GPS doesn't necessarily have to damage the PSU.

Reactions: manpreet66
Solution
First event: PC shut down after a loud bang sound & a flash of light coming from the case. But it turned on again & worked normally.
Second event: 8 days later computer shut down again but this time with 3 bangs. I try to turn it on afterwards but as soon as I turn on the wall switch, another bang happens & I notice some smoke coming out of rear side of the PSU. PC never turns on again.

What could have caused it? I suspect one of three possibilities.

1: Just a bad unit.
2: Power cord: Since the supplied power cord was not compatible with sockets in my region, I was using my monitor's power cord which is of the same type. But this cord has powered my monitor for 8 years & the new pc for 3 months & has survived the PSU death so it seems unlikely to be the culprit.
3: UPS: Due to frequent power outages, I use an APC 1100va UPS. I have heard how bad UPS can damage psu. But this same UPS has powered my older Seasonic s12 PSU for 3 years without issues and an older APC model powered it for more than 5 years without issues. So if an older PSU can deal with these UPSs for almost a decade how can a new & highly reputed TX650m not handle them for even 3 months?

So what do you think is the most likely reason for the death of my PSU?

What's the lot code for your PSU? This is the first 8 digits of the serial number.