Question My CPU bottlenecking VGA?

Hakeem_GR

Commendable
Feb 28, 2017
I Have RX 480 8gb graphics but my CPU is old haswell i5 4460, is itu bottlenecking my GPU?, Should i upgrade my CPU?

That CPU should be fine with an RX 480. You might see some improvement upgrading to a Haswell/Refresh i7 though, given the additional four hyperthreads, so if you can find a used one in good condition for the right price that might be a worthy upgrade without having to upgrade the whole platform. Otherwise you'd be looking at a new motherboard, CPU AND memory for anything newer than the platform you are currently on.

Your single core performance on that CPU is STILL better than the single core performance of any of the current Ryzen processors, so unless you are playing titles that you KNOW do a lot better when there are more than four cores available, and are well optimized to take advantage of additional threads beyond the 8 that would be available with a 4770, 4770k, 4790 or 4790k, if you feel you need an upgrade those would be worth looking at on the used market.

Personally, I would likely do that if it were me and I was on that platform WITH that 4 core i5, but that might be a hard sell IF you have plans to upgrade to a newer platform anyhow. The days of the i5 (From any generation) gaming as well as the higher core count i7 models because games couldn't take advantage of the additional cores, is over. The majority of titles now, can use them, so even on older platforms like yours an upgrade to a same gen but higher core count model can make a definite difference in some cases.

You will experience around 20% bottleneck.

Do you have some kind of evidence to support this magical 20% number, or are you just pulling that out of your automagical behind?

IF you are going to make FIRM statements like that, as fact, and use hard numbers, you had best have statistical proof to back it up. Otherwise, being a bit more vague might be a good idea AND offering that it's an opinion rather than a confirmed conclusion would be a good idea too.

Reactions: BringerOfTea

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I Have RX 480 8gb graphics but my CPU is old haswell i5 4460, is itu bottlenecking my GPU?, Should i upgrade my CPU?

Ignore all bottleneck calculators, all "percentage" of bottleneck estimates, etc.

In fact, throw the word "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary.

In some games, more of the burden is on the CPU. In other games, more of the burden is on the GPU.

For graphics cards, the biggest issue is the question of what your monitor's resolution and refresh rate are.

What are the specs of your monitor?
How much RAM does your PC have?
What games are you playing?

These questions need to be answered before any realistic answer can be given as to whether or not you need to upgrade anything. Why do you feel the need to upgrade? Have you run a hardware utilization monitoring software, and is it telling you that anything is pegged at 100%?

Hakeem_GR

Commendable
Feb 28, 2017
I watch youtube about my VGA in various game, i got lower fps than what on the video got, so i assume its my cpu, cause i have the same 16gb ram but only 1600mhz and other ia pretty much the same except my CPU, its ryzen 5 2600 and i ask someone dat haswell 4790k is the same as ryzen

People need to stop with this uncanny concern about bottleneck this and bottleneck that. There's bottleneck everywhere on your rig, your bus, your HDD, SSD, sata, controllers, RAM, optical drivers etc etc.

When it comes to GPU and CPU, bottleneck is only a factor when your processor is just so bad that you can't get any decent fps or is having major drops or stuttering on a good card, so no, there's no bottleneck there in a practical sense, you're just getting what you paid for; if you were to upgrade your cpu you'd get better performance for obvious reasons, if you would instead upgrade you gpu, you'll still get better FPS.

Think of it, 8700k will not bottleneck a 1080ti, but if you were to upgrade your cpu yet again, you'd still get better performance FPS wise, though on a much smaller extent because rendering is the gpu's primary job, not the cpu... but wait, if there's no bottleneck, performance should be peaked with the 8700k i shouldn't get any extra fps... and so bottleneck gets more concern than it should...

in the end of the day, every cpu x gpu combo vice versa bottlenecks, else you'd get infinite FPS, that being said, bottleneck is really 99% of the time just in your mind.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I watch youtube about my VGA in various game, i got lower fps than what on the video got, so i assume its my cpu, cause i have the same 16gb ram but only 1600mhz and other ia pretty much the same except my CPU, its ryzen 5 2600 and i ask someone dat haswell 4790k is the same as ryzen

It's not about the RAM speed. First, at 1600MHz, that's DDR3, totally incompatible with later systems' DDR4 RAM.

Additionally, RAM speed helps Ryzen much more than it does Intel CPUs.

Do not make any assumptions, and do not rely on YouTube videos. You need to run software that monitors HW utilization and graphs it over time, and try it with the games you play, at the settings you like to play at. I think most people use HWInfo for this.

When you see something pegged at 100% a lot of the time, whether CPU utilization, GPU utilization, RAM usage, etc, that's where you know your weak point is for THAT specific game. The results could well be radically different with a different game.