[SOLVED] My cpu clockspeed keeps lowering when i play games

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
whenever i load into any game, my cpu just goes down from 2.65ghz to 0.9 - 1.5ghz, and as soon as i exit the game my clockspeed instantly goes back to 2.65ghz. is there any fix for this.
ps. i am on high performance mode, and ive edited the processor power managment option to make sure my cpu should always be running at its max speed.
specs:
acer aspire a315-22
amd a9-9420e
radeon r5 graphics
8gb memory
256gb m.2 ssd

Solution
Check your power options - If it's set to power saving or balanced.

If you're on Windows 10 navigate to the bottom left and search "Power and sleep" -> Scroll down a bit and click "Additional power settings" -> Check if it's on powersaving/balanced, you want your PC set to High Performance.
May 19, 2020
Check your power options - If it's set to power saving or balanced.

If you're on Windows 10 navigate to the bottom left and search "Power and sleep" -> Scroll down a bit and click "Additional power settings" -> Check if it's on powersaving/balanced, you want your PC set to High Performance.

Solution
Are you plugged in while gaming?
If on battery your performance will be reduced to conserve battery power.

Laptop coolers are small and inefficient because of the need to save weight.
Not much you can do about that except to keep the cooling airways clear.

Can you verify that the cpu cooler fan is spinning?
HWmonitor should tell you.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
That CPU is a big oof for gaming.

Keep in mind that the base clock for that is 1.8 GHz, with turbo up to 2.7. At power/thermal load it will deviate more towards base clock as you run up against constraints preventing turbo frequencies from being sustained.

With a 6 watt TDP (at least, according to cpu-world) it's only going to turbo at very light workloads. Is that notebook passively cooled as well?