Question My CPU goes to 0.40 ghz while playing a game.

Mar 26, 2021
I cant fix this the power plan thingy is at a 100% and it is set on high performance . this happens aroud 10-20 minutes in to the game. How do i fix my laptops cpu?

Mar 26, 2021
Sounds like overheating.
Have you cleaned the heatsinks and fans lately?
Depending on age you may need to redo thermal paste.
ive cleaned the under of my laptop because that is where i think the fans are located at because there are little dots under and it gives air when i open the laptop and use it for 20 minutes its really hot ive cleaned it with wet wipes cuz i have nothing more it doesnt fix the problem

I had a laptop 10 years ago that began overheating after 20 minutes of watching Youtube, but, it would simply power itself off rather than throttle; upon disassembly/removal of it's heatpipe, we saw that barely the smallest blob of of compound was present did not even completely cover the CPU core die...

Naturally, cleaning it off and reapplying some compound cleared it's issues...

How do i fix my laptops cpu?
Some Intel CPUs get stuck at their lowest speed. This problem often times has nothing to do with the CPU temperature. A broken external sensor is sending your CPU a throttling signal.

Try running ThrottleStop.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Press the Limits button to open the Limit Reasons window. This will show you why your CPU is throttling. When a CPU is stuck at 0.4 GHz, you will usually see BD PROCHOT in red. If you have this problem, clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop and see if this makes your CPU go back up to full speed. Post some screenshots of the various ThrottleStop windows if you need help.

miCf7kN.png

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.