Question My cpu has very high temperatures when idle

Jan 27, 2021
I have turned my pc on today and my amd phenom II x4 955 black edition has hitted 71-73 degreeses of Celsius normally it hits around 40 to 45 but today it has hitted constantly as said 71-73 when In loaded it have hitted 90-110 and that left me wondering if it shouldn't by that time turn off automatically cuz temperature

Jan 27, 2021
And i have even tried underclock cpu but that maked cpu to run hotter somehow and i am hitting in bios 59-63 Celsius degrees I haven't been doing with my pc nothing I only have like montg ago cleaned the pc and my configuration is amd phenom II x4 955 black edition and msi gtx 1050ti cpu is not overclocked what so ever

And i have even tried underclock cpu but that maked cpu to run hotter somehow and i am hitting in bios 59-63 Celsius degrees I haven't been doing with my pc nothing I only have like montg ago cleaned the pc and my configuration is amd phenom II x4 955 black edition and msi gtx 1050ti cpu is not overclocked what so ever
You said that you cleaned it, how ? It's possible CPU cooler moved a little, broke connection to CPU with old and dried paste. Did you ever change paste ? Original paste from that time it was new was really bad and by now most probably all dried out.

Jan 27, 2021
check task manager and see if anything is using cpu. anti-malware service will sometimes take 70% of my cpu and make my idle temp go up to 60. check the fan curve on cpu fan? replace thermal paste with something good like arctic silver 5.
My cpu is getting 70-99% usage because it is thermal throdiling and on my pc start up it only starts discord and before this day it was running without any problem i am thinking it could be maybe issue with procesor but that sounds weird to me

Jan 27, 2021
check task manager and see if anything is using cpu. anti-malware service will sometimes take 70% of my cpu and make my idle temp go up to 60. check the fan curve on cpu fan? replace thermal paste with something good like arctic silver 5.
I have good after market cooler from coolermaster with 2 fans on it and thermal paste i have replaced when I cleaned pc i picked some mid range thermal paste i think maybe it is cpu issue but that sounds weird to me I have tried take my cpu hratsink and try it on other pc and it worked as it had to and i taked look on cpu it doesn't had broken pins or somethin like that maybe thee problem is that it is just old idk

Jan 27, 2021
Weird is when I touch cpu it feels like it is running 37-49 degrees celsius. Not like it was running at some 71-73 and in load even over 100+ but I have checked cpu temperature with hwmonitor and temperature meter and both of the application said it was running at those big temperature maybe I broked something that is counting degrees on motherboard idk but amd phenom II x4 955 black edition should at 90 degrees celsius turn off but it doesn't

Weird is when I touch cpu it feels like it is running 37-49 degrees celsius. Not like it was running at some 71-73 and i load even over 100+ but I have checked cpu temperature with hwmonitor and temperature meter and both of the application said it was running at those big temperature maybe I broked something that is counting degrees on motherboard idk but amd phenom II x4 955 black edition should at 90 degrees celsius turn off but it doesn't
Just how did you touch CPU when there's a cooler on top of it ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Weird is when I touch cpu it feels like it is running 37-49 degrees celsius. Not like it was running at some 71-73 and in load even over 100+ but I have checked cpu temperature with hwmonitor and temperature meter and both of the application said it was running at those big temperature maybe I broked something that is counting degrees on motherboard idk but amd phenom II x4 955 black edition should at 90 degrees celsius turn off but it doesn't
Because you, just like many others that come here, have been using the wrong apps to read thermals.

1)Get AMD Overdrive: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html
2)Run Overdrive and look at the core thermals only; you will confuse yourself further if you look at anything else.
3)Unlike with the other apps, Overdrive counts DOWN as the cores heat up.
4)Core thermals of 0 and negative values are bad, but single digits are also a bit toasty.

Jan 27, 2021
Because you, just like many others that come here, have been using the wrong apps to read thermals.

1)Get AMD Overdrive: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html
2)Run Overdrive and look at the core thermals only; you will confuse yourself further if you look at anything else.
3)Unlike with the other apps, Overdrive counts DOWN as the cores heat up.
4)Core thermals of 0 and negative values are bad, but single digits are also a bit toasty.
It says too that it is hitting 71-73 degrees celsius and it's showing that it is thermal throdiling my cpu amd phenom II x4 955 black edition have to run normally at 3,2ghz but with those degrees it is running at 800hz

I have turned off pc and than touched it i have very skinny hands so i doesn't had even to get motherboard out
Temperature can fall in few seconds even when it's running down to idle. Finger method doesn't work as temps are indicated deep inside the CPU core, not at the surface with cooler. Touching cooler doesn't help either as it has to be much cooler than core to even do any cooling, 30-50c difference at least, otherwise it's not good enough.

Jan 27, 2021
Remount and repaste the cooler?
I have remounted cooler and gaved new paste like a two hours ago but that helped to get cpu running at 70-72 degrees and i even runned stress test via amd overdrive for 37 minutes and cpu ease running 117-123 and pc haven't turned off and because it doesn't shut down pc i think maybe those temperatures may lie to me but idk i tried even give there new heatsink still nothing

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Something's definitely not right here.
The cpu should shut down the PC if it's sitting at it's thermal limits for a select period of time.
You didn't disable temperature monitoring* in bios, did you? [That might not be the exact term for it.]
That would stop the cpu from shutting down when it gets dangerously hot.

How old's the mobo? Maybe you've got a faulty sensor.

Jan 27, 2021
Something's definitely not right here.
The cpu should shut down the PC if it's sitting at it's thermal limits for a select period of time.
You didn't disable temperature monitoring* in bios, did you? [That might not be the exact term for it.]
That would stop the cpu from shutting down when it gets dangerously hot.

How old's the mobo? Maybe you've got a faulty sensor.
My motherboard is m4a79 deluxe from asus with AM3 socket