Question My CPU is consistently overheating.

Feb 19, 2022
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and a m22 water cooler and my temps sit around 95 in game. I am experiencing alot of thermal throttling; could someone help me look into some solutions or what is causing it.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and a m22 water cooler and my temps sit around 95 in game. I am experiencing alot of thermal throttling; could someone help me look into some solutions or what is causing it.
Need a lot more info.
What motherboard?
What do you have the pump connected to? Is it set to 100% duty cycle?
How do you have the radiator mounted? Intake? Exhaust?
Does the radiator get warm ?
One radiator fan or push/pull ?
Is the pump reporting 3500 RPM (per M22 specs) ?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022
Need a lot more info.
What motherboard?
What do you have the pump connected to? Is it set to 100% duty cycle?
How do you have the radiator mounted? Intake? Exhaust?
One radiator fan or push/pull ?
Is the pump reporting 3500 RPM (per M22 specs) ?
Sorry I'm not exactly a pc expert but let me see what I can figure out. I have a b550 MSI gaming mobo, the cpu fan is running at around 2100 rpm. The radiator is pulling the air out so its an exhaust. and I'm not entirely sure of the duty cycle or where to find that. Also my cpu jumps between a clock rate of 3300 and about 4000. When it hits 95ish or higher it goes to a clock rate of 520.

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry I'm not exactly a pc expert but let me see what I can figure out. I have a b550 MSI gaming mobo, the cpu fan is running at around 2100 rpm. The radiator is pulling the air out so its an exhaust. and I'm not entirely sure of the duty cycle or where to find that. Also my cpu jumps between a clock rate of 3300 and about 4000. When it hits 95ish or higher it goes to a clock rate of 520.
CPU fan should control the fan on the radiator
Where is the pump connected? Look at page 25 of your motherboard manual. There is a PUMP_FAN connector next to the CPU_FAN connector. That is where the pump should be connected and in the BIOS that should be configured for a pump or 100% duty cycle (full speed).

Feb 19, 2022
Where is the pump connected? Look at page 25 of your motherboard manual. There is a PUMP_FAN connector next to the CPU_FAN connector. That is where the pump should be connected and in the BIOS that should be configured for a pump or 100% duty cycle (full speed).
I have the fan on the radiator connected to cpu_fan1 nothing is connected to pump fan 1. I will also go check the bios settings right now. If it helps I can send a couple pictures of the pc.

Feb 19, 2022
I turned off the game boost for the cpu and x-amp profiles but that didnt help. I also couldnt find they duty cycle in my bios.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have the fan on the radiator connected to cpu_fan1 nothing is connected to pump fan 1. I will also go check the bios settings right now. If it helps I can send a couple pictures of the pc.
You should have 1 cable coming from the radiator (not the fan the radiator) where is that connected? Not sure why they even call the CPU block a pump since it's actually on the rad.

Feb 19, 2022
You should have 1 cable coming from the radiator (not the fan the radiator) where is that connected? Not sure why they even call the CPU block a pump since it's actually on the rad.
So the cable from the radiator is connected to the NZXT hub for case fans and RGB lighting which is in the back of the pc

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So the cable from the radiator is connected to the NZXT hub for case fans and RGB lighting which is in the back of the pc
That should be connected to the motherboard CPU fan opt or CPU pump ever how your motherboard list it and be set to full speed all the time.

If it's always been in that spot and you are just now having temperature problems then the cooler is failing.