Question My CPU is dropping core clock speeds from 4.3 to 1.7

Sep 20, 2024
Its an fx - 6300. My temps seem stable, my psu is 300W above my requirement for pc. But it is STRUGGLING, by the way it was doing this at base speed. Any ideas I have a few screenshots for you guys to help hopefully, this is me stess testing my cpu. Yet it happens stress testing or not. Real sad man I just started college im too broke to cop a new motherboard and cpu. ( View: https://imgur.com/a/FiCgHQB
)

Sep 20, 2024
oh yes and for the record. My cpu doesnt push past 54 degrees it stays in the 50s usually any more information need lmk

Its an fx - 6300. My temps seem stable, my psu is 300W above my requirement for pc.
But it is STRUGGLING, by the way it was doing this at base speed.
What model motherboard?
Does it have heatsinks on VRMs?

Old AM2/AM3 systems with FX cpus on them were notorious for dropping performance because of VRM overheating.

Either add additional cooling for VRMs or
limit max cpu frequency in BIOS.
May need to lower voltage also.

Sep 20, 2024
What model motherboard?
Does it have heatsinks on VRMs?

Old AM2/AM3 systems with FX cpus on them were notorious for dropping performance because of VRM overheating.

Either add additional cooling for VRMs or
limit max cpu frequency in BIOS.
May need to lower voltage also.
model is an M5A78L-M LX3
I have no idea what a VRM is I will check if have some when I am home

model is an M5A78L-M LX3
I have no idea what a VRM is I will check if have some when I am home
Your board doesn't have VRM heatsinks.

Z82iS4v.jpeg

logainofhades

Titan
Yea that board is struggling to keep up. As a former FX 8320 owner, I can say that system defintely needs replaced. As money is tight, you might want to scour FB marketplace for a used Ryzen 2000 or newer combo, once you have some extra cash.

Sep 20, 2024
do ye think its possible to turn down clock speed to help for the moment. cus luckily my college fee's will be paid back to me. but at the moment im self funded

Yeah, def the VRM's I've had a few of them boards and some Asus boards just like that, and they can keep with the FX 6 cores only if they got a bunch of air flow around the VRM area, but if there is stagnant air, yeah it may struggle, never mind the FX 8 cores, I've seen so many people use that board for FX 8350's and then blame the CPU.

But yeah, test it, take the side panel off, and see if things improve, even point a fan at that area and see if possible.

TRENDING THREADS