My CPU is overheating from simple tasks.

Robotnik003

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
Ok so for the past few days my PC started to overheat, and shutdown. Before I could easily fix the problem by dusting it since the huge amounts of dust were the problem. But yesterday I dusted my computer twice, and even applied new thermal paste. My PC still overheats from such simple games such as Minecraft, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The Shadow of Chernobyl. I downloaded HWMonitor to see my temperature, and while I am typing the temperature of my AMD CPU is jumping from 8C to 25C. When playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. the temperature is about 40-50C. I never had major problems with overheating before (Except the times when my computer is so full of dust that it forms a dust cloud when I pick it up, and it causes problems when I try playing Battlefield 1 on Ultra settings in 4k, but now I cannot play Minecraft in 1k for more than 30 min.) I checked all of my fans, and they all work fine. I thought maybe my cooling system is disconnected, but it is connected and LEDs are on. I am suspecting that the pump that pumps liquid is perhaps broken, since it is not that hot in the house.

Any suggestions or advises?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
On an AIO liquid cooler setup, if the pump stops working, the CPU generally overheats in short order as it's not moving the heat away from the water block. Your idle and load temps are a clear indicator that your pump is working fine.

Also, your AIO cooler is not going to give you the best temperatures, so the numbers you've already posted seem perfectly in line with what I...

Alphasa

Commendable
May 3, 2016
40-50C at load is actually a pretty good temp most processors don't start having troubles until at least 75C. Your temps don't look like they are your problem.

manv

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
25C at idle and 50 at load is not bad at all.
Those temps are well below the safe operational temperatures of any CPU.
I would only start worrying if the temps start crossing the 80C mark.

Robotnik003

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
My CPU cooler is LEPA AquaChanger 120. I am not sure how to check if the pump is actually working, but when I touch the first tube, I think it feels very slightly colder then the second one, but not sure. The pipes are very think to prevent leaking, and I cannot find anything that can show if it is working or not (Except the LEDs, which show that it has power).

Robotnik003

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016

Ok, then I have something else that causes my PC to just freeze when my CPU takes a load. Before the only problem that caused sudden freezing when doing something CPU intentive was overheating. Maybe I have a faulty CPU?

Robotnik003

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016

I have 32gb ram,
GTX TITAN X gpu,
AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor 4.72 GHz
ASUS motherboard (Don't remember exact name)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit operating system.

On an AIO liquid cooler setup, if the pump stops working, the CPU generally overheats in short order as it's not moving the heat away from the water block. Your idle and load temps are a clear indicator that your pump is working fine.

Also, your AIO cooler is not going to give you the best temperatures, so the numbers you've already posted seem perfectly in line with what I would expect from that setup.

On the other hand, folks telling you that 80°C is the temperature when you should start worrying should check their figures. While Intel CPUs may handle such high temperatures, that is past the point AMD says is safe for their CPUs.

If you are running an FX based AMD CPU, keep the temperature under 72°C. Some motherboards will throttle to make sure this happens, some won't. Ryzen based AMD CPUs need to remain below 75°C, and Phenom II based AMD CPUs should be kept under 62°C.

Edit: Your temperatures actually look even better, for a 9590. Those run extremely hot, and I wouldn't be the least surprised if your AIO cooler is simply inadequate to properly cool that CPU if you load it fully.

Solution
It would be good to know the actual make and model of ASUS motherboard. Because of the particular CPU you have chosen and it's unusually high TDP of 220 watts, only certain motherboards were ever qualified to run it. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised to see instability under extreme conditions, such as running close to it's thermal ceiling.