Question My CPU is running at 104 Degree C while rendering a video

Oct 8, 2019
So my CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700, it is overclocked and using the original CPU cooler the Wraith Spire. The video is 9 minutes long. I have been running this render for 30 minutes not because I honestly haven't been experiencing any shutdowns or stability issues (I have illustrator and photoshop open) so it makes me wondering if the temp is accurate. Right when my video finishes rendering like the second it drops my coretemp program reads that the CPU is running at 41 Degree C.

I would double check with the Ryzen Master program or HWInfo64 (both are supposed to be the best for accuracy). If it really hits 104c it should start to throttle as the max stated safe temperature for that CPU is 95c:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700

The Wrath cooler is fine for normal use and some overclocking but if you are doing very CPU intensive tasks I would highly recommend moving to a better air or AiO water cooler to help keep the temperatures lower while doing so. Excessive temperatures for sustained periods could cause damage to the CPU. Again this is if that 104c is correct.

There is a temp offset built into the chip so you'll need to use Ryzen Master to see the actual temp. The 2700 will throttle if it is hitting temps over limit so you'd see the temp constantly swinging from max, then cooling down, then back to max in Ryzen Master.

The Wraith Spire is not a cooler I would over-clock on...you need to invest in something like the NH-D15 SE-AM4 or a good AIO water cooler.

Oct 8, 2019
I would double check with the Ryzen Master program or HWInfo64 (both are supposed to be the best for accuracy). If it really hits 104c it should start to throttle as the max stated safe temperature for that CPU is 95c:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700

The Wrath cooler is fine for normal use and some overclocking but if you are doing very CPU intensive tasks I would highly recommend moving to a better air or AiO water cooler to help keep the temperatures lower while doing so. Excessive temperatures for sustained periods could cause damage to the CPU. Again this is if that 104c is correct.

So Ryzen Master is showing that my idle temp is around 33 C. My other question is how do I check to see if the task that I am running (I am rendering a video on adobe media encoder) is CPU intensive for my CPU? The file is a adobe premier 9:00 minute video with a bunch of adobe after effects slide animations.

Oct 8, 2019
There is a temp offset built into the chip so you'll need to use Ryzen Master to see the actual temp. The 2700 will throttle if it is hitting temps over limit so you'd see the temp constantly swinging from max, then cooling down, then back to max in Ryzen Master.

The Wraith Spire is not a cooler I would over-clock on...you need to invest in something like the NH-D15 SE-AM4 or a good AIO water cooler.

I think what is overclocked is my CPU. I am probably going to take off overclocking on that. any good recommendations for a good AIO water cooler? Thanks so much for your reply.

So Ryzen Master is showing that my idle temp is around 33 C. My other question is how do I check to see if the task that I am running (I am rendering a video on adobe media encoder) is CPU intensive for my CPU? The file is a adobe premier 9:00 minute video with a bunch of adobe after effects slide animations.

Premier is absolutely more CPU intense. It can use the GPU if you use certain effects but not for everything.

As for a good AiO depends on what you want and what your case can accommodate.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181-2.html

Thats a decent list. I have an older H100i and its been pretty reliable for many years.

I think what is overclocked is my CPU. I am probably going to take off overclocking on that. any good recommendations for a good AIO water cooler? Thanks so much for your reply.

The Corsair H115i is a very good cooler for the 2700...there are other 240-280mm sized coolers that are also good...the key is finding one that will fit your case. I ended up going with the NH-D15 SE-AM4 for my 2700x and it works great...keeps the temps under 70c with an all core load while PBO is enabled.