[SOLVED] My CPU is running at an extremely low clock speed. Could I get some help?

Oct 14, 2020
Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 9900k (Not OC)
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 TI (Not OC)
Ram: 32 GBS DDR4 3200
Cooler: iBuyPower 120 Radiator AIO Cooler

Solution
Yes, I feel vibrations.
Seems like the pump is working.

Can you just for the sake of it, remount the CPU block. Clean the existing thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and reapply new paste... a thin vertical line down the middle of the CPU heatspreader should be enough. Tighten the screws on the water block in a cross pattern and make sure it is tightened firmly at the end.
Oct 14, 2020
I'd suggest you download HWinfo and monitor your CPU temperatures as well as clock speeds (start the program in sensors only mode).
I've used CPU-Z already to monitor the temperature and its said that its running at 100 degrees celsius, even though it is not hot at the touch at all.

Oct 14, 2020
Well that's bad... there's no heat transfer from the CPU to the radiator.

I mentioned above, the pump might be dead or there's a clog.
Are you sure that the water block is mounted properly to the CPU heatspreader?
Yes, but I just made a discovery. I reached my hand further back on the part that is over the CPU and I could feel a large amount of heat. I think that could be part of the issue.

Yes, I feel vibrations.

Can you just for the sake of it, remount the CPU block. Clean the existing thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and reapply new paste... a thin vertical line down the middle of the CPU heatspreader should be enough. Tighten the screws on the water block in a cross pattern and make sure it is tightened firmly at the end.

Solution
Oct 14, 2020

I do not have thermal paste, so I will go out and by some and then see what happens. I will comment back on this thread once I have done this.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
check how you AiO is installed.
as @ChumP said , remove the clear plastic protecting the part that touches the CPU

also check how the place : better place for the radiator is on the top of the case, exhaust. this way all air is traped on the top, away from the CPU waterblock.
front or rear is ok if tubes are pointed downwards
never install the radiator lower that the waterblock

BEST :
radiator on he top, air stay there.
your AiO should last a long time ad stay quiet and your CPU cool (well, for a 9900k)
NZXT-Kraken-X63-33-Large-1000x561.jpg

OK -ish:
waterblock is slighty lower than the highest point of the radiator, tubes upwards
performance should be ok, but it's possible the pump is noiser than with radiator on the top. that's because some bubbles of air will be trapped in the pump.
should be better with tubes down if possible.
374266_eJ8OQBb.jpg

BAD :
waterblock is the highest part of the loop, so air get traped inside.
Very noisy and the CPU get hot
31698148338_d70396a93c_c.jpg

EVIL :
waterblock is filled with air and occasionnaly push some water through.
noise, vibrations, 100C CPU agonizing.
82cfd0a5cd0db14cd827f0df7f1e1c6f0c57f16e.jpeg

Source :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

Last edited: