[SOLVED] MY CPU is running hot

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
I ahve an ENERMAX 240mm AQUAFUSION ARGB Liquid Cooler. it was pre-installed when i got the pc. I need to know if I just need to replace thermal paste, or if I have to replace the liquid/coolant in the cooler or not and if so what I need to replace it with and how

Solution
  1. Check that the AIO pump power cable (looks like a fan cable, probably 3-pin) is connected to the motherboard
  2. Remove the water block from the CPU, remove the thermal paste (Isopropyl Alcohol + paper towel), and apply new thermal paste

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
well concidering my pc safty shuts down when it reachs 115 c and it shut down twice. and I do not knopw the fan speeds of when it was running hot/shut down but right now fan 1 is 3452 rpm fan 2 is 1468 rpm

1. Check that the AIO pump power cable (looks like a fan cable, probably 3-pin) is connected to the motherboard
  2. Remove the water block from the CPU, remove the thermal paste (Isopropyl Alcohol + paper towel), and apply new thermal paste

Solution
my pc safty shuts down when it reachs 115 c...
and it shut down twice
but did it actually shutdown because temperatures were too high or due to some other issue?
you need to actually monitor temperatures and ensure it is the problem.

use monitoring software like HWinfo or RTSS and keep an eye on the CPU's temperature to see what the system is idling at and how high it gets when one of these shutdowns occurs.

and what do you mean by "safty"?
that your CPU documentation states that for "safety" reasons it will auto-shutdown at 115°C?

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
I have had this pc for 2 years now. this is maybe the second thing thats gone wrong? the first thing was when i recieved it the copany had left the plastic shield on the CPU and had up the cooling unit ontp of it. i have to remove the unit, remove the shield apply new heatsink paste and reattached. the fans on it are running. but I will check everything

I have had this pc for 2 years now. this is maybe the second thing thats gone wrong? the first thing was when i recieved it the copany had left the plastic shield on the CPU and had up the cooling unit ontp of it.
you definitely should have returned it at that point.
once you've done manual correction/manipulation the distributor can claim any issues are you're own fault and void any warranty.

to determine what can be done to continue this system's lifespan is up to you actually determining what is causing the issues(s).
we need up-to-date temperature reports as soon as you can provide them.

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
Okay i got thermal paste on, and noticed that after having to take my cooler unit radiator out and put it back on. one of the fans was not spinning correctly, and the thermal issue still happens. it cools a bit more now buut it still ramps up. so i have ordered a new cooling unit. i think the pump may be gone on my old one

TRENDING THREADS