[SOLVED] My CPU only shows 1 Core 2 threads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Hi! I bought a computer with an i3 3220 which is supposed to be a two core, fourth thread CPU. I have already tried to go into msconfig and change it, to no avail. My motherboard is a Foxconn 2ABF and from what I cant tell has no bios. Would it fix itself if I buy a new CPU or would the M/b still limit it? Is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Foxconn 2ABF and from what I cant tell has no bios.

The board will have a BIOS, it has to have a BIOS.

Appears that board came out of an HP system.

First of all, I'd look to clear the CMOS. If you cannot access the BIOS (likely F10 for an HP OEM system), then you could remove the CMOS battery for 10mins. Looks like it's located to the top-right of the motherboard.

Some (most?) BIOS have an option to disable cores. Whether you have the option on that board and exactly where you'd find it in the BIOS, I'm not sure - and it may even vary by BIOS version, but it would make sense that somehow a core has been disabled.

Clearing the CMOS or "loading optimized defaults" in the BIOS should achieve the result without having to...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Foxconn 2ABF and from what I cant tell has no bios.

First of all, I'd look to clear the CMOS. If you cannot access the BIOS (likely F10 for an HP OEM system), then you could remove the CMOS battery for 10mins. Looks like it's located to the top-right of the motherboard.

Some (most?) BIOS have an option to disable cores. Whether you have the option on that board and exactly where you'd find it in the BIOS, I'm not sure - and it may even vary by BIOS version, but it would make sense that somehow a core has been disabled.

Clearing the CMOS or "loading optimized defaults" in the BIOS should achieve the result without having to go hunting for the option.

Reactions: Secret-Squirrel
Solution

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020

Clearing the CMOS or "loading optimized defaults" in the BIOS should achieve the result without having to go hunting for the option.
Alright let me take a pic of the bios real quick so you can see what I need to do.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020

View: https://imgur.com/a/6fb6IPE

This is all I see in terms of BIOS.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020

Is removing the battery dangerous? Any tips?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Upon trying to run it, it does absolutely nothing.

Well that is strange.

Is removing the battery dangerous? Any tips?

It's not dangerous, no.

Turn off the power supply (or disconnect from the wall). Hold the power button down for a few seconds to drain an residual power still in the board. Then remove the CMOS battery (has a little spring/latch on one side, it'll pop right out). Wait 10 minutes to be sure, reinstall the battery, turn the PSU back on (or plug back in) and proceed as normal.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
With the odd symptoms you are having, I am thinking that booting a Linux from USB and checking would be a good idea. That will eliminate any Windows issues.
Ok. I would like to try to leave that as a last resort, as I don't have a USB and every time I've tried to install an OS I end up bricking something.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What will clearing the CMOS do?

It will load default settings within the BIOS. So, if there's a core disabled, it will revert to default which = all cores active.

There may be settings tweaked that will prevent you from entering Windows without updating them again, but with a board of this era and limited functionality, it's almost certainly just stock.

With the odd symptoms you are having, I am thinking that booting a Linux from USB and checking would be a good idea. That will eliminate any Windows issues.

This is a good call OP. If you can rule Windows in/out, you can then determine if you're looking at a software or a hardware/BIOS issue.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
It will load default settings within the BIOS. So, if there's a core disabled, it will revert to default which = all cores active.

There may be settings tweaked that will prevent you from entering Windows without updating them again, but with a board of this era and limited functionality, it's almost certainly just stock.

This is a good call OP. If you can rule Windows in/out, you can then determine if you're looking at a software or a hardware/BIOS issue.
Alright Ill try to do that. According to a friend on discord, this has been updated to support third gen CPU's, will that mess that up.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Alright Ill try to do that. According to a friend on discord, this has been updated to support third gen CPU's, will that mess that up.

No, it won't any BIOS version etc, it'll just load the default settings within the current BIOS version installed.

That might, and is a good option before you reset the BIOS, OP. I'm not convinced the BIOS will let a piece of software 'see' the cores if they're disabled, but it's worth a shot.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
No, it won't any BIOS version etc, it'll just load the default settings within the current BIOS version installed.

That might, and is a good option before you reset the BIOS, OP. I'm not convinced the BIOS will let a piece of software 'see' the cores if they're disabled, but it's worth a shot.
Alright I'm gonna see about that and post it here and then I will clear the CMOS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the thread moving so fast your suggestion about cmos happened while I was looking for the link. I don't know if Intel has any magic in that program that lets it see disabled cores, I know AMD Master can see the actual speed of my CPU whereas Windows thinks I am always running at 4.2ghz

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020

View: https://imgur.com/a/xKOG8Za

TRENDING THREADS