[SOLVED] My CPU temp 80 celcius while gaming

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
Wow ok I'm suprised...I just upgrade my GPU from GTX 1060 to RTX 2060

I used i7-7700....when I use GTX 1060, I never hit 80 celcius heat on my CPU, but after I use RTX 2060 playing AC Odyssey on Ultra settings, my CPU temp become 80 celcius. Back then I play AC Odyssey on high settings

damn, does 80 celcius will hit my CPU?

Solution
The max junction temp on an i7-7700 is 100C.....so I don't think 80C is going to hurt it.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...7-7700-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html
....and from what I have read....7700s tend to run on the hot side anyway.
If you want you can play with the fan setting in the BIOS and that may get you something.....but it might also get you more noise.
You could also run with the case open and if the CPU temp is significantly cooler that way.....you can add more case cooling.
The max junction temp on an i7-7700 is 100C.....so I don't think 80C is going to hurt it.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...7-7700-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html
....and from what I have read....7700s tend to run on the hot side anyway.
If you want you can play with the fan setting in the BIOS and that may get you something.....but it might also get you more noise.
You could also run with the case open and if the CPU temp is significantly cooler that way.....you can add more case cooling.

Solution

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
The temp can and will vary from game to game.
Here's the thing.....before the upgrade your 1060 was holding back your CPU.
The upgrade allows your CPU to work a bit harder.
Thus the higher temps.

Does speccy or msi afterburner show correct temp data? I mean like 85 celcius should be very hot but I touch my top case and it doesnt really feel hot

Does speccy or msi afterburner show correct temp data? I mean like 85 celcius should be very hot but I touch my top case and it doesnt really feel hot
I've never used Speccy. I use Afterburner all the time....and it seems pretty accurate to me.
Where are you reading 85C?
If it's the CPU or GPU....generally that's the temperature of the components inside the CPU or GPU and you won't be able to feel that anywhere.

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
I've never used Speccy. I use Afterburner all the time....and it seems pretty accurate to me.
Where are you reading 85C?
If it's the CPU or GPU....generally that's the temperature of the components inside the CPU or GPU and you won't be able to feel that anywhere.

Wow is this even possible? So I try to use a air blower to clean my PC, and now running AC Odyssey again, my CPU temp reduce to 65-70°celcius!!!

I can't believe the dust can cause big impact...

The 7700k can run hot. As long as you stay under 85 - 90 celcius there should be no problem in the long run even if that is hot.

You dont say what kind of CPU cooler you are using.

And ofc dust can cause a big impact. If it starves the cooler from airflow then it will just keep heating up.
And if you got a cooler than can only just keep it cool and it builds up dust over time. Well there is your problem.

If you have that much dust accumulation you may want to consider getting some filters for your intake fans. Dust prevents airflow and holds heat, it's like putting a blanket over your PC. Also it's gross.

If there was that much dust accumulation then it's probably time for you to change out the thermal interface material, TIM. Most TIMs don't last forever. A couple years usually.

As far as the temp increase in the first place, you did a big upgrade on the graphics card. The 2060 is probably a lot more able to push the 7700 towards it's limits.

You may wish to clean off the cooler and CPU and apply fresh thermal paste. Other than that, make a habit of dusting your system every couple of months or so.

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
I just add a new cheap casing fan (so I have 3 casing fan total) since I check CPU cooler is expensive...but it's good now...my CPU temp is at 50-60 celcius now.