[SOLVED] My CPU usage goes to 100% and stutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
I have a high-end PC but I get stutterings in games and my CPU sometimes goes to 100%. I upgraded my whole rig about 2 months ago and since then I get stutters in almost any CPU intensive game. I'm at a point where I don't know what else to do since I tried changing my PSU and tried everything I could find on the internet.
My specs:
motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix B360-H Gaming
CPU: I7 9700-K 3.6 ghz
GPU: ASUS Rog Strix RTX 2080 TI 11Gb
RAM: Corsair 2x8Gb 2133mhz
If anyone has any thoughts on what the problem could be, I'd be grateful to hear your opinion!

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
So, I reinstalled my windows 10 but chose to keep my personal files. (It was an optional setting)
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM750x 2018, 80+ Gold, 750W
CPU usage is about 50% but spikes to 100% sometimes during stutters and the temperature is in acceptable limits.
Gpu temperature is in acceptable limits as well and its' usage is at about 40% most of the time.
RAM usage is at about 50% and ssd usage is at about 30%.
(Those are all during gaming.)
I already scanned my system with multiple antiviruses and it's clean.
I tested multiple games at 1080p60hz.

I'd look for any potential TDP limits in BIOS and remove them, just in case...

YOu could open HWmonitor and run CPU-Z/Bench/stress CPU and let it run 15 minutes, noting what clock speeds are achieved and with what temps....looking for any signs of potential downclocking/possible throttling after several minutes. CPU-Z/CPU stress is at least a tad more stressful as any game nowadays...but a bit less stressful than something like Prime95...

I have a high-end PC but I get stutterings in games
Some games are incredibly badly made and will stutter like crazy.
You have a very strong GPU and if you are not using the highest settings you are allowing the game to maximize all of it's bad coding.
Use the highest quality settings you can or even put in a FPS limit and the stuttering will decrease if not stop altogether.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
Some games are incredibly badly made and will stutter like crazy.
You have a very strong GPU and if you are not using the highest settings you are allowing the game to maximize all of it's bad coding.
Use the highest quality settings you can or even put in a FPS limit and the stuttering will decrease if not stop altogether.
That's the thing, I don't think every CPU intensive game I played is just unoptimized. I know this since I have seen videos on how my rig should run those games and I get a fluctuating 50 fps (even 60 fps sometimes) and stutters sometimes. I should get an average 60 fps and no stutters on the games I tested from what I have seen on multiple websites and youtube videos. I'm going to try and reinstall windows again when I get back home.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
Give us a list of games that do stutter for you.
You do state"CPU: I7 9700-K 3.6 ghz " so if your CPU actually only runs at 3.6 then that's your problem you should run this thing at ~4.7 locked on all cores when gaming.
It runs at 4.6 but 3.6 ghz is the defaut frequency. A list of games that I remember stuttering a lot would be: Batman: Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey and I'll tell you some more games when I get back home.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
I think I have found the problem. At fault is my RAM because of its low frequency. Once I enabled an xmp profile and set them to 2666 mhz my fps increased dramatically. Now it stays at almost 60 fps with some small 3 frame drops about once every 10 seconds. I will change them once I save enough money.
Thank you all for your help! :D

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
I found out what the problem was and just in case anyone else has the same issues here is why. I was a dummy and just didn't insert my two ram sticks properly. I had the first one in slot A1 and the second one in slot A2. I switched my first one to slot B2 and now my system works flawlessly. You need to do this so that the dual channeling actually works. I'm closing this thread and marking it as solved. Thanks everyone who tried to help me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.