Question My CPU usage spikes VERY HIGH whenever I do anything

Mar 13, 2020
My build is:
i5 7400
16gb DDr4 ram 2400Mhz
Gtx 1050ti 4gb
h110m-k motherboard
550w psu

This is an issue I've been facing for a while now and I haven't solved it. I thought that my processor was really weak and thats why this was happening but that's really hard to accept because I did some research on it when I bought it and it seemed to be good. Whenever I play games and it gets a little heavy or basically any task, the CPU utilization spikes and when I'm playing a light game like Pubg mobile on an emulator, my usage is between 70-100%, spiking to 100% freezing my computer for a sec or making me lag quite a bit atleast.

I just tested it with browsing and its the same thing. I made a video to show you guys what it looks like in the task manager. Only facebook is open on chrome and the utilization is 9-13% when its idle. When it spikes to 33%, thats when I start scrolling fast. I'm scrolling throughout the whole video and just 1 tab spikes up to 72% which is crazy. I tested it with youtube aswell, scrolling in a videos comments section and the same thing happened. (Did this because youtube comment sections aren't as heavy as a facebook feed?)

Now I don't know if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. I've been stuck on this for quite a bit now and would appreciate some help. I'll be happy to provide whatever kind of information you guys need, just don't have too much experience in that department. There is no headroom at all to do anything. Even if everything else is closed and I'm playing a game, or doing any other mildly intensive task, the utilization spikes like this. THIS is what my task manager looks like when I'm writing this post (I have 4 tabs open, including that same facebook tab, but they're all idle so its not spiking).

Honestly, it looks okay to me. When you scroll quickly through a website like facebook it has to call for a lot of data, that's why you see the ethernet spike at the same time. It then has to process that data and render it to your screen. I would only really be concerned if it didn't stop when you stopped. I did a quick test just now. My i5-2500 spike to ~70% when scrolling quickly through a website on chrome.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You don't really have a problem. That is the way Windows works. Just because you open a browser or app and the usage percentage rises doesn't mean you have a weak processor. When you do real work like productvitiy then you will realize you wont even use 50 percent of your CPU power. Also trying to not use Chrome for now and try another browser and see how that goes and how much usage it takes when watching HD video on youtube. I think your ok my friend.

Mar 13, 2020
Honestly, it looks okay to me. When you scroll quickly through a website like facebook it has to call for a lot of data, that's why you see the ethernet spike at the same time. It then has to process that data and render it to your screen. I would only really be concerned if it didn't stop when you stopped. I did a quick test just now. My i5-2500 spike to ~70% when scrolling quickly through a website on chrome.
Yea thats why i checked youtube comments and there weren't any pictures or images that it had to load, the results were the same. Same with gaming, its supposed to be a decent processor for smaller games but theres like no headroom at all

Mar 13, 2020
You don't really have a problem. That is the way Windows works. Just because you open a browser or app and the usage percentage rises doesn't mean you have a weak processor. When you do real work like productvitiy then you will realize you wont even use 50 percent of your CPU power. Also trying to not use Chrome for now and try another browser and see how that goes and how much usage it takes when watching HD video on youtube. I think your ok my friend.
My main problem is associated with gaming. Running an emulator takes it up to 80-100% constant and my fps keeps dropping and its all stuttery even when nothing else is running

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
My main problem is associated with gaming. Running an emulator takes it up to 80-100% constant and my fps keeps dropping and its all stuttery even when nothing else is running

So emulator apps do this or gaming in general. Every game you try ? Or just certain games ?

A emulator shouldn't take more then 10 percent CPU usage maybe 20 percent at most for top of line one. Games can peak to 100 percent but should not crash and should play smoothly depending on your settings.

I suggest: Boot to safe mode and run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart. Then in normal mode install the latest 451.xx drivers that just came out then let us know.

Mar 13, 2020
So emulator apps do this or gaming in general. Every game you try ? Or just certain games ?

A emulator shouldn't take more then 10 percent CPU usage maybe 20 percent at most for top of line one. Games can peak to 100 percent but should not crash and should play smoothly depending on your settings.

I suggest: Boot to safe mode and run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart. Then in normal mode install the latest 451.xx drivers that just came out then let us know.
I actually play pubg mobile on an emulator. The emulator isn't optimized well, I know, but this is still really bad. It should still run at 60fps but even on the lowest settings it still stutters. This happens with other games aswell like COD warzone, but with other games the problem isn't as big because the load is on both cpu and gpu ig. What I mean to say is, anything even mildly cpu intensive spikes it very high.