Question My dad put the 6 pin part of a 6+2 cable into a 6 pin header in the psu and the 8 pin part in my gpu while I was gone. What could have broken?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 29, 2023
I would still contact your credit card company and ask. Not for a reversal of the charge, but most credit companies have some form of short-term purchase protection that protects your property from damage or theft caused by third parties. It doesn't have to be criminal. Your father, a third party, appears to have damaged your property with an action that you were unaware of ahead of time, and did not authorize him to do.

The worst they can say is no, and you're no worse off.
Yeah I’ll try to contact the customer service of the store where I bought it first, it’s quite a big online store with a reputable customer service so maybe they can do something for me, and explain the whole situation.

If we don’t get a refund then we just have to take our loss. Atleast my father learned his lesson and wont mess around with stuff he doesn’t know about anymore haha. Also he is covering for it but it’s still a waste of money

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah I’ll try to contact the customer service of the store where I bought it first, it’s quite a big online store with a reputable customer service so maybe they can do something for me, and explain the whole situation.

If we don’t get a refund then we just have to take our loss. Atleast my father learned his lesson and wont mess around with stuff he doesn’t know about anymore haha. Also he is covering for it but it’s still a waste of money

It's far less likely they'll do anything. Stores usually won't give you refunds for damage caused this way. Your credit card's protections are basically insurance that may protect against these things.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If the ram isn't seated fully and correctly, it'll refuse to boot, only the power on demand items like rgb and fans will kick on. If there's a bent pin on the cpu, same thing can happen and you'll get a brief cpu led before that stops completely.

Jun 29, 2023
If the ram isn't seated fully and correctly, it'll refuse to boot, only the power on demand items like rgb and fans will kick on. If there's a bent pin on the cpu, same thing can happen and you'll get a brief cpu led before that stops completely.
Yeah fans weren’t even spinning so doubt that ram was the culprit, though getting correctly seated was worth a try. Just tried starting the mobo again this time with a display attached, forgot that last time.. but still nothing it wont start and no qleds are on or anything

Jun 29, 2023
Tried to install in new mobo but wouldnt post. It tried to start but didn’t, took the cpu out and there was a really slight burn mark that you could see under a certain angle. We’re taking everything back and buying a prebuilt because I’m kinda done with this since I already worked on this for about 20 hours

TRENDING THREADS