[SOLVED] My DDR3 1333Mhz read by my system as 1600Mhz?

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Hello everyone.

So I have an old system:
  • AMD FX6300 vishera
  • Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3-R2
  • 1x 4GB + 1x 2GB DDR3
  • Windows 7 64bit
In the past, I didn't care much about the built. As long as it boots to windows, it's good for me. Hence why I plugged in one 4GB stick and one 2GB stick. It was originally a stick of 4GB, and I happened to get my hands on an extra 2GB lying around, so I just plugged it in, check if it boots and detected, and forgot about it.

Lately, mostly due to quarantine, I watch and read tech videos and articles, and I read that a pair of the same memory sticks is better than different ones, like in my case. So I'm thinking of buying another stick of 4GB with the same brand. Now the problem is, when I double checked whether what I have is the 1333 or the 1600, I got confused. Physically, on the sticker on the stick, it read PC10600, that should be 1333, right?

Ecn3cGp.jpg

* the 2GB stick said the same PC10600

But when I boot up my system, in the post, it says 1600. In CpuZ, it also read as 1600 (DRAM frequency 805Mhz, that would be 1600, right?)

InFx0dX.jpg

*sorry it's from mobile camera. I don't know how to take screenshot from post screen

q9Qem9n.jpg

As far as I remember, I don't have any features like XMP or similar activated. I just overclocked the cpu, changing only the multiplier and core voltage, didn't touch any other options.

Normally, I wouldn't think too much about it, as long as it functions like usual. But now I want to get a matching RAM stick, so I'm confused at which one should I buy, 1333, or 1600

Any help?

Thank you

Solution
Ok, so in a nutshell, I won the lottery.....twice? Paying for a 1333 ram stick, but getting 1600 instead, and it happened twice (the one with the samsung chipset), a few years apart.

Anyway, so if I want to get a matching ram stick, I should go with 1600 then, right?
As i said earlier, i believe CPU-Z not the sticker. Keep in mind the microchips on a 1333 stick of RAM and a 1600 stick of RAM with the same model name are exactly the same. The RAM manufacturer tests each chip to see how high it will clock and then puts them in different bins. They may have needed a batch of 1333MHz RAM and just used chips that would run higher because that's what they had available.

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Check how CPU-Z identifies your RAM under the "SPD" tab. I would trust that over the sticker.

Hi, thank you for the reply.

Is this what you meant?

uwgO2z8.jpg

8odBWwO.jpg

Is it really 1600Mhz? But how? I mean why would they label down their products, and sell them for less? And it happened to 2 products I bought separately too, so it's not a one time mistake on their side. I'm genuinely confused here....

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
There are 3 different speeds of RAM all labeled "HMT351U6EFR8C". The suffix at the end (in your case PB) identifies the speed. Maybe the stickers on the assembly line got mixed up.

(Part Number) - H9 = (Speed) - 1333 9-9-9
(Part Number) - PB = (Speed) - 1600 11-11-11
(Part Number) - RD = (Speed) - 1866 13-13-13

https://www.skhynix.com/eolproducts.view.do?pronm=DDR3+SDRAM&srnm=HMT351U6EFR8C&rk=20&rc=module

Ok, so in a nutshell, I won the lottery.....twice? Paying for a 1333 ram stick, but getting 1600 instead, and it happened twice (the one with the samsung chipset), a few years apart.

Anyway, so if I want to get a matching ram stick, I should go with 1600 then, right?

As i said earlier, i believe CPU-Z not the sticker. Keep in mind the microchips on a 1333 stick of RAM and a 1600 stick of RAM with the same model name are exactly the same. The RAM manufacturer tests each chip to see how high it will clock and then puts them in different bins. They may have needed a batch of 1333MHz RAM and just used chips that would run higher because that's what they had available.

Solution

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Yep, you did good! Now go back the same place and get some 1600 and you're set. :D

Thank you for the replies

I ended up ordering a hynix ddr3, based on the chipset of the one I already have. They sent the 1.35v one, but reading online, it should be okay to plug it to a 1.5v, so yeah, plug that in a pair, add the 2gb samsung one to the 3rd slot, and everything read and functional @1600 :)

TRENDING THREADS