Question My desktop PC will not log into Steam or go into certain pages but my phone has no issues.

Angel_13

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2016
Ok so right now I'm using a new wifi router, and my phone doesn't have any issues but my PC just straight up refuses to go into certain pages, or let me log in into apps that use the internet (Steam, epic games store). I know my PC is getting internet because I can get into YouTube, google and some other pages, but also blocks some others Like zoom meetings, Tom's hardware amongst others.

My cellphone has no issues logging into any of these, also with my previous Internet provider i had no issues on my PC.

Network band: 2.4 GHz
Security type: WPA2
I'm using a wired USB TP Link TL WN7200ND to connect to wifi on my PC.

Thanks in advance

Ok so right now I'm using a new wifi router, and my phone doesn't have any issues but my PC just straight up refuses to go into certain pages, or let me log in into apps that use the internet (Steam, epic games store). I know my PC is getting internet because I can get into YouTube, google and some other pages, but also blocks some others Like zoom meetings, Tom's hardware amongst others.

My cellphone has no issues logging into any of these, also with my previous Internet provider i had no issues on my PC.

Network band: 2.4 GHz
Security type: WPA2
I'm using a wired USB TP Link TL WN7200ND to connect to wifi on my PC.

Thanks in advance

wn7200 nd was released in 2013 very old drivers for windows 7.
you might want to get a new device

what router are you using?
wpa3 came out in 2019
wpa2 hacked in 2016? old devices/drivers would not have patch.

Last edited:
Try to use the option to turn off the windows firewall temporarily.

This is acting like it is set to a public network. That pretty much lets web traffic work and not much else. You want it set to a private network. Not 100% sure if those are the names microsoft like to change what they call stuff for no reason I can tell.

Generally if the ip you get from your router is not one of the common private ip blocks the firewall will set itself to public.

Angel_13

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2016
wn7200 nd was released in 2013 very old drivers for windows 7.
you might want to get a new device

what router are you using?
wpa3 came out in 2019
wpa2 hacked in 2016? old devices/drivers would not have patch.

Well if i need to get a new wifi antenna i will, but i find it odd that i haven't had any issues with other routers and ISPs.

The router's make is Arcadyan, model VRV7006CW22.

Not much I can do about the kinda of security my ISP uses in their routers.

This is acting like it is set to a public network. That pretty much lets web traffic work and not much else. You want it set to a private network. Not 100% sure if those are the names microsoft like to change what they call stuff for no reason I can tell.

Generally if the ip you get from your router is not one of the common private ip blocks the firewall will set itself to public.

Oh right that makes sense, will try it then.

Angel_13

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2016

Ok so i changed the settings to private network and deactivated the firewall, but i didn't solve the issues sadly.

Angel_13

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2016
Try to change the dns setting in the IPV4 setting to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. Disable IPV6 while you are in there since it causes strange issues for some people.
I went into Settings > Network and internet > Change adapter options > Wifi > then IPv4 and ended up with a screen that looks like this:

https://postimg.cc/VJ69Vf0b

I tried all the possible combinations of 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 (leaving only 1.1.1.1, only 8.8.8.8 a combination of both etc) and didn't solve the issue sadly.

Also deactivating IPv6 just shuts down the internet entirely.

Edit: the errors I'm getting while trying to use Google chrome are: Error DNS probe finished NXdomain and ERR address unreachable

Also tried using my phone as a hot spot and the PC wifi works fine, so it's most likely an issue between the PC and the router

Last edited:
Chrome has its own dns settings. They should be off by default but chrome now supports encrypted DNS so you can set the DNS in the browser itself. This will over ride the ones set in the OS so this can be a issue for some people.

Not sure why it would work on the hotspot and not the router.

You to a point know it is not the internet or the router because the phone has no issues . If the pc work on the hotspot it removes a lot setting in the pc itself. This pretty much leaves the wifi connection. The wifi itself has no concept of things like ip addresses or dns or websites. It just passes packets between the router and the pc it really doesn't care about what these packets are really doing.

The only other difference would be something in pc related to that network connection. It has a different network name and settings. Most times this makes no difference but this is where things like firewall rules get you. BUT since you have disabled the firewall it can't be that simple.

You have pretty much eliminated all the possibilities so I am at a loss here.

Angel_13

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2016
Chrome has its own dns settings. They should be off by default but chrome now supports encrypted DNS so you can set the DNS in the browser itself. This will over ride the ones set in the OS so this can be a issue for some people.

Not sure why it would work on the hotspot and not the router.

You to a point know it is not the internet or the router because the phone has no issues . If the pc work on the hotspot it removes a lot setting in the pc itself. This pretty much leaves the wifi connection. The wifi itself has no concept of things like ip addresses or dns or websites. It just passes packets between the router and the pc it really doesn't care about what these packets are really doing.

The only other difference would be something in pc related to that network connection. It has a different network name and settings. Most times this makes no difference but this is where things like firewall rules get you. BUT since you have disabled the firewall it can't be that simple.

You have pretty much eliminated all the possibilities so I am at a loss here.
Well damn, don't know what to do then.

Angel_13

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2016
It just means you must redo the things you already tried seeing if there is anything you missed. It is a matter of figuring out what is differentwhen on the hotspot and the router.
Sorry forgot to mention that my cellphone's hotspot is sharing my cellphone mobile data, not the same WiFi from the router.

I kinda feel like I need to clarify that lol