Question My devices recieve significantly slower wifi speed than what my sytem puts out

Jul 15, 2019
I currently use a mesh wifi network from Eero, and because of this I can read the speed of the network from the Eero utility app, which reads 290-300 mbps for download and 12 mbps for upload. However, the speed that my PC gets is no where near as fast, speed test on my PC run on average around 40 mbps on the download with random spikes up to 110, the upload stays pretty constant at 10 mbps. I have tried using TP-link for ethernet (my house was build in the 80's and does not have ethernet nor a modern phone line run thorough it) but if anything, it makes the signal worse, this trend is similar to my other devices such as my phone. I have no clue what this difference in speed could be from, I have tried upgrading the modem, changing providers, changing the wifi hardware, and strengthening the mesh via TP-link ethernet, but nothing even seems to effect the situation.

My modem is an Arris sb8200 and I use a series of Eeros devices as "the router".

Pleas let me know if any part of my explanation was vague or hard to understand and if I left out important information to aid in finding a solution.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

cpike84

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Lot's of things come into play with wireless speed throughput. Are you ever downloading or uploading anything when you run the speed tests? Is someone else on your network doing so? Do you have lots of appliances and walls between your router and your PC? Mirrors? Those kill the speeds. That said, you won't get anywhere near speeds of 290-300 mbps on a mesh wireless setup. Typically the more WiFi nodes you implements (or more hops devices need to go through) the worse your speed will be. The most I've seen any mesh system advertise is speeds up to 150 mbps.

My primary Google node that is plugged in with Ethernet to the cable modem runs a speed test every day and my average to that hard-wired device is 346 mbps down and 29 mbps up rates. My wireless devices in my home running on the Google WiFi's mesh setup typically see anywhere from 70-140 mbps tops. It varies with location and the device in use, but I know I will never see my max speeds when running on this configuration.

The only way you'll get your advertised speeds is if you get a crazy fast wireless router like the Netgear Nighthawk X10, AND have your wireless devices (which need to support those speeds) within the same room or close distance line of sight, and at that point you might as well run Ethernet.

Jul 15, 2019
Lot's of things come into play with wireless speed throughput. Are you ever downloading or uploading anything when you run the speed tests? Is someone else on your network doing so? Do you have lots of appliances and walls between your router and your PC? Mirrors? Those kill the speeds. That said, you won't get anywhere near speeds of 290-300 mbps on a mesh wireless setup. Typically the more WiFi nodes you implements (or more hops devices need to go through) the worse your speed will be. The most I've seen any mesh system advertise is speeds up to 150 mbps.

My primary Google node that is plugged in with Ethernet to the cable modem runs a speed test every day and my average to that hard-wired device is 346 mbps down and 29 mbps up rates. My wireless devices in my home running on the Google WiFi's mesh setup typically see anywhere from 70-140 mbps tops. It varies with location and the device in use, but I know I will never see my max speeds when running on this configuration.

The only way you'll get your advertised speeds is if you get a crazy fast wireless router like the Netgear Nighthawk X10, AND have your wireless devices (which need to support those speeds) within the same room or close distance line of sight, and at that point you might as well run Ethernet.

Thank you for your input, I had no clue that mesh systems had that affect