[SOLVED] My discord *friend* obtain my ip, state/city

Mar 4, 2019
I had a friend that I met on a discord server. We started to play together on Rainbow Six Siege and after a while, he started trying to guess where I live. I thought he was just kidding around so I went on with it. About and hour later, he pulls up a screen shot of my ip and my state/city. Now he is teasing/harrasing me online making jokes about pinpointing where I live or exploiting it. My question is what should I do to prevent him from further obtaining information?

Solution
Discord itself you can't get the ip address from it is one of the advantages to the system over some of the other older voice chat systems. Many games are peer to peer and you can get ip from that. Parts of rainbow siege are peer to peer but I forget what. The main multiplayer games is hosted on central servers so that will not reveal your IP.

In general with all the jerks out there I would always play games on vpn. I would not worry about someone knowing what city you live in. Its not like they can find your actual address. I would call the ISP and see if you can get a different IP address but others in the same pool will still link back to the same city.

SHMILY

Great
Mar 1, 2019
hswelectronics.com
I have already activated a vpn but wouldn't it be useless if he already does know my ip?
I think your Network Provider would not leak your real addrss. Although he know your Ip, but everytime you restart your online device, you IP will change too. I am from China, I put my Ip on these website that can find my address. But many of them are not correct. Please do not worry~

Discord itself you can't get the ip address from it is one of the advantages to the system over some of the other older voice chat systems. Many games are peer to peer and you can get ip from that. Parts of rainbow siege are peer to peer but I forget what. The main multiplayer games is hosted on central servers so that will not reveal your IP.

In general with all the jerks out there I would always play games on vpn. I would not worry about someone knowing what city you live in. Its not like they can find your actual address. I would call the ISP and see if you can get a different IP address but others in the same pool will still link back to the same city.

Solution
Not too much they can do with it besides DOS you. If you don't have any inbound services then they can't get past your NAT. You have to be careful about messages you get from them. Lookup XSS. They could of gotten your ip from giving you a link if it wasn't from a game you played with them.

DOS is one of the more common ways people cheat in competitive games. a game server would never see it happening so it's hard to prove.