Question My display no longer works at 144hz

Jul 23, 2021
So, from this post we only know the monitor's brand and that was from the photo. How do you expect us to help? We need full system specs.
Apologies. Here are the specs

AOC
24G2U

CPU: [/SIZE]Intel Core i9 11900K, Rocket Lake, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 3.5GHz Base, 5.3GHz Turbo [Overclocked - CPU professionally overclocked up to 5.0GHz]
GPU:EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING 10GB GDDR6X Ray-Tracing Graphics Card
RAM:32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO - 3000MHz
PSU:Corsair RM450x, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS GOLD - up to RTX 3090 / RX 6800 XT
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI

Jul 23, 2021
I think your GPU needs at least a 750w but I dont think that's the cause of your monitor problem.
Yeah I did think it was quite small for the GPU to be honest but with it being a scan prebuilt I trusted them. Yeah I'm thinking its a monitor issue but I cant figure out the fix or possibly its just a new monitor needed

Jul 23, 2021
Well I can tell you right off that a 550w PSU powering a 3080 is sketchy at best...not even close to the recommended PSU size. nVidia recommends 750w minimum.

Have you installed the proper display driver from AOC ?
Yeah I thought the same thing https://ao.com/product/3xs111937-3x...-80967-253.aspx?cmredirectionvalue=3XS-111937 this is where I bought it from because its what my insurance picked to replace my old pc. I have installed the driver and it didn't change a thing

Jul 23, 2021
Sounds like it might be time for a new monitor. Always a good idea to test the rest of your system with another monitor though just to make sure it's not the GPU causing the issue.
Yeah thanks for your input I think the same. Luckily my monitor is under warranty so should be fine. I mean even the same monitor works at 60hz which I find strange. and all my other monitors work okay but none of them are above 60hz so I cant test the output.

Jul 15, 2021
Yeah I did think it was quite small for the GPU to be honest but with it being a scan prebuilt I trusted them. Yeah I'm thinking its a monitor issue but I cant figure out the fix or possibly its just a new monitor needed

When I looked in the manual of the AOC 24G2U, I found out it DOES support 144, but only on HDMI and Display Port.
You ruled out a defective DP cable., but have you also tried HDMI?
If it still is 60 on HDMI, it might be another problem or the monitor is not working.

A too low PSU can give problems with highend GPU's but the problems are more like crashing and hanging in games, Complete freezes, triggering powerbreakers/fuses, artifacts, not showing a screen at all, etc.
I have not heard or seen a failsystem that blocks the refresh option when a PSU is too low. Problems would be more severe.
Looks like something else.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
It works perfectly at 60hz and my graphics card can run games fine. But I have tried new DP cables and everything and it looks like this when I switch to 144hz. I have done a clean install with DDU and that didn't fix it either. View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Lrs5q3d

it may be a long shot but while in 60hz, enter osd menu > extras > reset ,
while is extras menu check if DCC/CI is set to enabled ( when it is on, while plugged via display port, the monitor will relay information of what the exact capabilities of the screen are)

Jul 23, 2021
When I looked in the manual of the AOC 24G2U, I found out it DOES support 144, but only on HDMI and Display Port.
You ruled out a defective DP cable., but have you also tried HDMI?
If it still is 60 on HDMI, it might be another problem or the monitor is not working.

A too low PSU can give problems with highend GPU's but the problems are more like crashing and hanging in games, Complete freezes, triggering powerbreakers/fuses, artifacts, not showing a screen at all, etc.
I have not heard or seen a failsystem that blocks the refresh option when a PSU is too low. Problems would be more severe.
Looks like something else.

Yeah Its the exact same with HDMI. just a tiny bit of the screen showing and the rest black. works okay on 60hz too. Most likey a monitor issue I think?

Jul 23, 2021
it may be a long shot but while in 60hz, enter osd menu > extras > reset ,
while is extras menu check if DCC/CI is set to enabled ( when it is on, while plugged via display port, the monitor will relay information of what the exact capabilities of the screen are)
Okay so resetting didn't fix it. But on the extras board it says H frequency 67 and V 60. Its defiantly capable of 144hz because I used to use it at 144hz. strange.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Okay so resetting didn't fix it. But on the extras board it says H frequency 67 and V 60. Its defiantly capable of 144hz because I used to use it at 144hz. strange.

it should look like this on the G24G2/G27G2

H.Frequency ( 60, 100,144 hz depending on setting)
V.Frequency ( depending on model say G-Sync or FreeSync)

go to NVIDIA control panel > setup G-Sync >
click on dispaly you want to change
checkmark on Enable G-Sync/ FreeSync compatible
radio button on enable on desktop and fullscreen
checkmark on Enable Settings for display model
apply and exit

go back to OSD and check what the V. Frequency in extras is reporting now

You can also try plugging the cable to different DP port on graphics card. Quite franky it's little wonder you did not damage that 3080 with in combination with that cpu considering the powersupply you got.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021
it should look like this on the G24G2/G27G2

H.Frequency ( 60, 100,144 hz depending on setting)
V.Frequency ( depending on model say G-Sync or FreeSync)

click on dispaly you want to change

You can also try plugging the cable to different DP port on graphics card. Quite franky it's little wonder you did not damage that 3080 with in combination with that cpu considering the powersupply you got.
Yeah the different ports are not changing the outcome but I did try what you suggested and it says Free sync premium nex to V.frequency now but H still says 60 and the problem still occurs when switching to 144