My dog wants RAID

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am totally flabbergasted at the amount of people who claim to need a RAID setup. To make things ridiculous, they want to use ATA drives.

Gee, I play some games, & open up MS Paint every now & then, what level of RAID should I use?
Running a pair a the latest & fastest IDE disks in a JBOD setup would make so much more sense for 99% of people. But noooo, everyone thinks they "need" a RAID setup today, even my dog. Maybe I'll get him 2 extra females to keep in his kennel for redundancy, just in case the current one blows a leg or something.....

AARGH!

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IDE drives in a jbod ( just a bunch of disks) setup? With what controller? A JBOD is typically a SCSI setupwith a backplane. All these onboard software raid solutions most people talk about pale in comaprison to a true hardware RAID setup.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OOps, JBOD ("just a bunch of disks"), was used incorrectly by me > I was very tired when I posted. I guess I should read my posts b4 submitting when I am that tired :)

Either way, I implied using the mobo onboard RAID controller as a means to add extra disks, but in a non-RAID setup :), & use them as independent disks (but not spanning the disks). As to the hardware RAID you spoke of, yes of course it is the best. Have you had the chance to use Adaptec's new "Zero channel" stuff?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What's with you and IDE RAID? IDE RAID is the best thing that's come along in hard drive performance for lost cost since the IDE interface itself. It's cheap and will significantly improve disk performance.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yes, agreed, it WILL improve performance. but for what? even most demanding things (video editing/render-animation, etc.) can be handled by a single drive, with the drives on the market today. but a raid setup will boost performance under those conditions. i think what ron is pointing out or maybe venting? is raid will not do anything for someone listening/ downloading mp3's and playing q3. i could take an engine out of a top-fuel dragster and somehow slap it in my '88 grand am i'm sure, but what's the point?

[insert philosophical statement here]

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The point is IDE raid is nothing more than the "winmodem" of raid setups. Is there something wrong with it? No...But it is so highly overrated! Yes you are seeing an improvemnt in disk access ( depending on your stripe setup) but this comes at a cost of increased cpu utilization.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
True, but the IDE interface itself also greatly relies on the CPU! SCSI uses far fewer cycles. But with all classes of CPUs now north of 1GHz, a few CPU cycles don't matter, even for most video editing tasks.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I guess I'm missing something in these many conversations about IDE RAID. I think that if you were a system admin of some company you would be smart enough to use a SCSI RAID system. I don't think the majority of us using this forum has that environment, so who really cares? I mean whoever is the dip sh** that thinks IDE is going to smoke SCSI in some way, must be smoking something of their own.