My Downloads folder is gone

calamitousyob

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I just installed Windows 10. It's installed on a small SSD. I was trying to move my libraries (documents, pictures, downloads etc) to the HDD. I figured out how to do it now (properties-location-move...) but in doing so I screwed up and it now recognizes my downloads folder as my HDD or something. When I click on properties for all the others it says category: system folder. For Downloads (Now called H:/, which is what I named the hard drive). it says local disk but still has the folder with the down arrow icon.

I have no clue what to do I don't want to have to reinstall everything I've just spent the last few hours getting set up. Any help would be much appreciated.

calamitousyob

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
65BZzw1.png

calamitousyob

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
So I've got all my system folders onto my hard drive. And I found some page online that recovers the missing downloads system folder. (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18583-user-folders-restore-default-location.html) (option 2)

But I still have 2 H:\ drives listed in file explorer. Any ideas?

vLhagD5.png

calamitousyob

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Yeah I've got that all set up thank's a ton for helping. But I now have 2 copies of this drive showing up in the side bar. Any way you know of to get rid of the top one?

XXND7uR.png

Are they anyhow related to Downloads folder? Does the Location still pointing to Downloads ? Try restarting

calamitousyob

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
The only way I think that top one is related to Downloads is that it used to be downloads and pops up in the same spot with the same icon as downloads would. But it considers it a drive

X4QNRSZ.png

Restarting now

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try hitting restore defaults? I bet it won't work if you try to relocate it off H as it will try to move hidden files at same time and they may be bigger than the ssd.

You can try this: http://scottiestech.info/2014/11/11/repair-missing-user-folders-in-windows-7/

have you tried to change the location back using the storage menu? select settings/system/storage

I don't get why there are two ways to do this and they don't seem to be linked. If you change it using the folders properties in File explorer it doesn't show the new place as the that default location in the storage menu. So while I have most of my libraries on D or E drive, storage still thinks they all set to C.

this happens too often, the smart idea in future is to make a download folder on H before you try to move the library as then windows is less likely to just make the entire drive a download location. I have had this before when I tried to move my music folder and it made my D drive my music folder.

calamitousyob

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Honestly, It's weird that it has that hard drive in 2 places. but everything still works fine and I'm probably going to just leave it. Thanks a ton dexxter I really appreciate it.