Question My Drive Suddenly Goes Read Only

Afurosuto

Commendable
Aug 11, 2022
I don't know should I put this here or hardware but basically,

I just realized that my drive E: is set to read only today when I wanna update some of my games, I think 1-2 weeks ago still fine.
I did most of the tutorial/search on google/youtube such as do the cmd disk clear read only, modifying regedit for the storage device policies, doing it manually by making the users have full control over the drive, but to no avail still read only.

Then I saw some forum mention if its on SSD, check the SSD condition using crystal disk info etc. And yeah, I can see my 1 year only SSD already reaching 100% bad, which is weird...
screenshot

The question is, is there a way to force it back to readable? I wanna try formatting it, but even formatting is not doable coz its read only. I dunno if there's warranty for this, I'm checking with the store I bought before but still no reply, so I just wanna use it till it really went out I guess...

Nothing is important inside the drive, just my games which is fine I can download it again, and I can still play any games that are inside there but I guess if there's an update, it's gonna be dead coz I can't write into it... dunno if its possible tho
And, is there a possibility that this is not hardware problem but maybe malware etc?

Last edited:
I don't know should I put this here or hardware but basically,

I just realized that my drive E: is set to read only today when I wanna update some of my games, I think 1-2 weeks ago still fine.
I did most of the tutorial/search on google/youtube such as do the cmd disk clear read only, modifying regedit for the storage device policies, doing it manually by making the users have full control over the drive, but to no avail still read only.

Then I saw some forum mention if its on SSD, check the SSD condition using crystal disk info etc. And yeah, I can see my 1 year only SSD already reaching 100% bad, which is weird...
screenshot

The question is, is there a way to force it back to readable? I wanna try formatting it, but even formatting is not doable coz its read only. I dunno if there's warranty for this, I'm checking with the store I bought before but still no reply, so I just wanna use it till it really went out I guess...

Nothing is important inside the drive, just my games which is fine I can download it again, and I can still play any games that are inside there but I guess if there's an update, it's gonna be dead coz I can't write into it... dunno if its possible tho
And, is there a possibility that this is not hardware problem but maybe malware etc?
Replace the ssd if there is a warranty use it.

Your running out of spare blocks.

Afurosuto

Commendable
Aug 11, 2022
Replace the ssd if there is a warranty use it.

Your running out of spare blocks.
Well, Like I wrote before... What I wanna know is, is there a way to force it to be able to be written again?
I'm posting this with the assumption there's no warranty coz I havent got reply from the store, if there is, I will definitely switch it out.

I did some searching about the spare block just now, mind telling me what made that spare block gone bad?
I mean, I haven't done much in that SSD for the span of a year and I only use like 1 tb-ish out of 2tb

Well, Like I wrote before... What I wanna know is, is there a way to force it to be able to be written again?
I'm posting this with the assumption there's no warranty coz I havent got reply from the store, if there is, I will definitely switch it out.

I did some searching about the spare block just now, mind telling me what made that spare block gone bad?
I mean, I haven't done much in that SSD for the span of a year and I only use like 1 tb-ish out of 2tb
Could be an internal fault or too many writes to certain blocks but couple that with the read only perhaps best to just replace the ssd.

If the merchant won't talk to you perhaps contact the ssd maker.

Afurosuto

Commendable
Aug 11, 2022
Could be an internal fault or too many writes to certain blocks but couple that with the read only perhaps best to just replace the ssd.

If the merchant won't talk to you perhaps contact the ssd maker.
Did some more searching on reddit just now specifically regarding ssd that became "read only". Mine probably faulty coz I saw some people using Klevv too more or less got the same lifespan, dunno tho coz only 2-3 people.

Yeah, probably will try that. Hopefully this is like Samsung ssd problem where they kinda have solution for it