[SOLVED] My Ethernet cable disconnects randomly and doesn't turn on until I restart

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
My Ethernet cable disconnects randomly and doesn't turn on until I restart. I've upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and processor.
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk MAX, CPU ryzen 7 3700x

Solution
The OS isn't fresh it's about 2 years old, I have not tried pinging it, may you tell me how to do that?
You have a two year old OS configuration for a different motherboard attempting to use the hardware on a different motherboard. Odd issues like this are not unusual. You may chase this until you do a clean OS install. This also can explain why you get references to an Asus service -- leftovers from your previous motherboard.

Any time you swap motherboards, you should expect to do an OS install to ensure you have minimum troubles.

Ralston18

Titan
Verify: you are browsing the internet or gaming online and get disconnected.

Then after a restart the connection is good until another disconnect - correct?

Are you using the motherboard's built in ethernet adapter, a PCIe ethernet adapter, or perhaps a USB/Ethernet adapter?

Is the connection between your pc and the router a direct Ethernet cable? Have you tried another known working ethernet cable?

Windows 10 ? Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that relate to the disconnects.

Who manages your network router? Make and model? The router's logs, if available and enabled, may also provide some clue about what is happening. The person with admin rights to the router will need to help.

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
Verify: you are browsing the internet or gaming online and get disconnected.

Then after a restart the connection is good until another disconnect - correct?

Are you using the motherboard's built in ethernet adapter, a PCIe ethernet adapter, or perhaps a USB/Ethernet adapter?

Is the connection between your pc and the router a direct Ethernet cable? Have you tried another known working ethernet cable?

Windows 10 ? Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that relate to the disconnects.

Who manages your network router? Make and model? The router's logs, if available and enabled, may also provide some clue about what is happening. The person with admin rights to the router will need to help.
It's one Ethernet cable going directly to the motherboards Ethernet slot, internet provider is BT (i could get the full model if needed) I've never tried another Ethernet cable but it worked for 2 years on my previous motherboard so I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard acting up somehow. so basically my internet is working fine then i put it to sleep and when i wake it up again the internet stops working, after a restart it works fine again until the next time i put it to sleep. I've taken a look in the Reliability History and it showed that ASUS Com Service has stopped working, I'm not really sure what it is but after some googling it says that it's something to do with the bios but my motherboard is MSI which confuses me a bit.

kanewolf

Titan
The OS isn't fresh it's about 2 years old, I have not tried pinging it, may you tell me how to do that?
You have a two year old OS configuration for a different motherboard attempting to use the hardware on a different motherboard. Odd issues like this are not unusual. You may chase this until you do a clean OS install. This also can explain why you get references to an Asus service -- leftovers from your previous motherboard.

Any time you swap motherboards, you should expect to do an OS install to ensure you have minimum troubles.

Solution

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016

Is there any way to try to fix this problem without doing a clean install? and could it be the Asus program doing it?