[SOLVED] My Ethernet dies and resets conection whenever i am not sending big requests, but my sistem shows as nothing has happened.

May 24, 2020
Hello Tom's Hardware Forum,

I am a new user and because of these,i would like to be warned if i posted something that's inappropriate or if i chose the wrong section.

To explain more, 3 days ago, i ran into a very big problem which i couldn't solve and i am still struggling with right now. Thursday evening i was chatting with some guys on discord and randomly i wasn't able to send any messages anymore nor to send any photos. Strange enough, i was able to hear them on the voice channel really clear, but couldn't speak because they said i was running into huge ping. After 3 minutes, everything went back to normal and i thought it was just an update or somthing running in the background. Next morning the problem appeard again and dissappeard after 2-5 minutes. A little after,while I was running a bot based of requests on a website trying to manage to get an item of clothing which was supposed to be released on that website, my whole internet went down and i got logged out of all aplications, but my sistem showed it as fully operational and conected to the network. I tried to login into wifi from my phone and everything was working fine. I decided to go and reset my router , because it was running constantly for over 3 days and crashes might happen anytime. After it was fully operational again, my sistem showed as i was conected to the network, but each time i tried to connect to a web page, i was getting the message:The conection was reset with the following error: ERR_CONECTION_RESET. https://ibb.co/Scyzv7T

So, i decided to search the web for any possible bug in the sistem which might cause me such a thing and i 've done the following things so far.(when i am writing this is 5pm BST, Sunday):

-I reset my firewall
-I bought a new Ethernet Cable
-I rebooted my router
-I hard reset my router
-I deactivated and then reactivated my ethernet from The Control Panel -> Network and internet ->Network Connections.
-I changed my DNS server to the one ran by google and to some other servers which were optimal.
-I deleted and then reinstalled manually my internet drivers. (I've let windows do it by himself too)
-I tried to search for any possible update for my internet drivers.
-I searched for any hardware changes in my internet drivers
-I disabled green ethernet and efficient energetic ethernet and turned on magic packet.
-I updated my Video Card and my Processor .
-I reinstalled my Windows and deleted anything in case i have got a virus, which i don't think so because i haven't downloaded anything previously.

This is the problem: I think that the internet resets somehow whenever i am not using it for big things(as an example i am just using it to listen to spotify etc etc ), and whenever i open a link or smthing from discord or from anywhere else, it simply dies and rests. My Network sistem doesn't recognize this and it shows as everything is fully operational which makes me think that it might be a problem caused by my motherboard.
This is how it looks https://ibb.co/Scyzv7T and it happens almost randomly , but most of the times when i try to open a link or just use the web how normal people do. Saturday night,before reinstalling my windows, i had the problem from 3 to 3 minutes, which made my job almost impossible to be done since it is based on using the internet.

I am writing this because i have searched the web for over 2 days and couldn't find anything relevant.

PS: I was playing around with speedtest.net and my internet was going downwards each minute until it hit 0mb/s and make it restart, or at first , the download speed was really low and a bit after it would jump back to normal. I was also seeing that whenever i was not speaking on discord, it was showing as i had huge ping, which in fact, was being remmediate by just saying something.
https://ibb.co/3v3sGzh

kanewolf

Titan
Start by attempting to ping when this happens. Ping your router and ping 8.8.8.8. It could be a DNS problem. Pinging IP addresses removes DNS.
If you can ping your router, then login to your router and check the WAN status. Check the LEDs on the router and on the modem.
Your router may have an option to ping from the router. See if you can ping 8.8.8.8 from the router.

May 24, 2020
Two things to check--one, is this the only system on the network with this issue?

Two, if you connect your system directly to the modem bypassing the router is the problem fixed?
1. I tried with another laptop and it was working perfectly fine.
2.I made a mistake, i have only a modem so it is conected directly to the modem.

kanewolf

Titan
Solution
May 24, 2020
Since your ping to the router has issues, you need to stabilize that. Start with a brand new cable directly between your PC and router.
i will change the router tommorrow and will keep posted. Hopefully the problem will dissappear. I ve already changed the cable but that didn't solve anything. I think it is due to the router, but i will see more tommorrow.

May 24, 2020
Quick update: My internet actually got stick to 7 mb/s which is a very big downsight from 80mb/s but it seems to be fine and it doesnt disconect anymore. What could cause such a thing?

PS: It got disconected again but after 1 hour this time. I am sure now it is my router

Last edited: