[SOLVED] My Ethernet says the speed is 1.0gbps but I cant even load websites like youtube without waiting minutes for it to load.

Apr 8, 2021
I switched to a gigabit plan with xfinity the other day and my ethernet was working perfectly on that day, then out of the blue at 3 am that day my ethernet speed dipped drastically and hasnt worked since.

Solution
Its a wifi modem and its supposed to support both. The model I have is Technicolor CGM4140COM . I did internet speed test just now with my ethernet and it capped at 0.02 mbps and then the test failed. Also my wifi with the same test had 340 down and 40 upload. I dont know what to do as I have called xfinity support and they ran tests on the modem and have said its a problem on my end because they said nothing is wrong with the modem.
This is a modem router combo, not a straight modem. I've also read that these have a bit of an issue with overheating. Try unplugging it for a few hours and let it cool down. And once you plug it in again, run the wired test in the first 15 minutes and see if it changes.
Not working at all or just slow? Slow--call the call center and have them check it out as it's probably a system goof or a real outage. Not at all--again call center since if it was working correctly before the only change is what they did, and they did something wrong and broke it. :(

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
Xfinity customer here....

Seconding @SamirD

3 a.m. outage - could be testing, some update, etc..

Our service can go down even in mid-day due to such things.

But then again coincidences/gremlins happen. A tree fell somewhere and your service is affected.

Who knows....

Just start documenting everything that happens, what you do, who you call, get names, print out chats, etc..

If honestly warranted, then press for some credit or compensating service.

Apr 8, 2021
Xfinity customer here....

Seconding @SamirD

3 a.m. outage - could be testing, some update, etc..

Our service can go down even in mid-day due to such things.

But then again coincidences/gremlins happen. A tree fell somewhere and your service is affected.

Who knows....

Just start documenting everything that happens, what you do, who you call, get names, print out chats, etc..

If honestly warranted, then press for some credit or compensating service.
Ive called my ISP and they ran tests and say everything is running as it should be. The thing is my wireless works perfectly fine its just my ethernet connection from my pc straight to the modem is giving me unbelievably slow speeds. Ive swapped to a new cable that I know works and it gives me the same results.

Apr 8, 2021
Which Xfinity modem/router do you have? Two LAN ports on the back - correct?

And your PC is the only wired (Ethernet) connected device?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.
https://www.amazon.com/WestNet-Comcast-XFINITY-Advanced-Gateway/dp/B08B138ZN9 - This is the modem I have.

I ran ipconfig with both wifi and ethernet but I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for.

And no currently my smart tv is also wired but even when it wasn't my ethernet was the same.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Modem:

Two telephone ports, two LAN ports, a coax cable connection, and the power plug port - correct?

What wires go into and out of the modem? Where do those wires come from or go to?

ipconfig:

Post the ipconfig results.

What I am looking for is the information about the network adapter(s) installed in your computer along with some of the applicable configuration settings.

For example: does your "wired" PC also happen to have a wireless network adapter? If so, that wireless adapter should be disabled and only the wired network adapter enabled.

However, if you are unsure about posting such information (which is more than understandable) you can delve into the problem(s) to some extent.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/ip-config-818377

https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/windows-networking-commands/

Do you know if Xfinity set up the modem as a wireless hotspot?

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-app/pause-devices/602daf21c5375f08cd01ed92

One note: no need to immediately make changes there. Goal is to just find out more about the overall configuration with respect to modem, network, and connected devices.

Apr 8, 2021
Modem:

Two telephone ports, two LAN ports, a coax cable connection, and the power plug port - correct?

What wires go into and out of the modem? Where do those wires come from or go to?

ipconfig:

What I am looking for is the information about the network adapter(s) installed in your computer along with some of the applicable configuration settings.

For example: does your "wired" PC also happen to have a wireless network adapter? If so, that wireless adapter should be disabled and only the wired network adapter enabled.

However, if you are unsure about posting such information (which is more than understandable) you can delve into the problem(s) to some extent.

FYI:

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-app/pause-devices/602daf21c5375f08cd01ed92

One note: no need to immediately make changes there. Goal is to just find out more about the overall configuration with respect to modem, network, and connected devices.
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name : My PC
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search List: hsd1.ma.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: hsd1.ma.comcast.net
Description: Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller
Physical Address: 04-0E-3C-2B-AC-38
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IPv6 Address: Im gonna keep hidden
Lease Obtained: Friday April 9, 2021 6:09:42 PM
Lease Expires: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 7:44:10 PM
IPv6 Address: Also hidden
Temp IPv6 Address: Hidden
Link-Local IPv6 Address: hidden
Ipv4 Address: hidden
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained: Friday, April 9, 2021 6:09:40 PM
Lease Expires: Sunday, April 11, 2021 6:09:40 PM
Default Gateway: fe80:226:86ff:fe80:722c%4
DHCP Server: 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID: 251924028
DHCPv6 Client DUID: 00-01-00-01-26-71-F3-4B-04-0E-3C-2B-AC-3B
DNS Servers: 2001:558:Feed : : 1
2001:558:Feed : : 2
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled

Apr 8, 2021
Modem:

ipconfig:

FYI:

And yes 2 telephone ports that aren't being used, 1 Coax that also isn't being used, and 2 ethernet ports that are being used one connected to my pc and the other connected to my smart tv.

Ralston18

Titan
Understand that you do not wish to reveal personal information. However, there is much confusion regarding public and private IP addresses.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...vate IP address is,a home or business network.

= = = =

Going back to the connection problem:

I am missing something: how is the modem connected if no coax connection?

Does the TV have a coax connection?

Take a close look at the IP addresses for:

Modem/router (Likely 10.0.0.1)
PC
Smart TV.

If you open a new browser window and type (without quotes) "10.0.0.1" what screen do you see?

You should see an Xfinity Gateway Login screen requesting Username and Password.

Xfinity should have given you that information. Do you have it? (Just a question. Do not post that information.)

If so, are you able to login to your modem?

Apr 8, 2021
Understand that you do not wish to reveal personal information. However, there is much confusion regarding public and private IP addresses.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970#:~:text=A private IP address is,a home or business network.

= = = =

Going back to the connection problem:

I am missing something: how is the modem connected if no coax connection?

Does the TV have a coax connection?

Take a close look at the IP addresses for:

Modem/router (Likely 10.0.0.1)
PC
Smart TV.

If you open a new browser window and type (without quotes) "10.0.0.1" what screen do you see?

You should see an Xfinity Gateway Login screen requesting Username and Password.

Xfinity should have given you that information. Do you have it? (Just a question. Do not post that information.)

If so, are you able to login to your modem?
I only use an ethernet connected to my smart tv to watch stuff not my coax cable and yes I am able to log into xfinity gateway and can see the IP addresses but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Ralston18

Titan
Is there a coax cable physically connected to the Smart TV and where does that cable originate?

What I would expect to see as I understand your network:

Line diagram (edit and correct as necessary):

Xfinity ISP ----- coax cable ----> Modem with two Ethernet cables going out LAN1 to Computer and LAN 2 to Smart TV.

Your configuration seems to have the coax cable going to the TV - not the modem.

Make and model Smart TV?

From the Command Prompt run the following three commands and post the results.

ping 8.8.8.8

tracert 8.8.8.8

arp -a

Apr 8, 2021
Is there a coax cable physically connected to the Smart TV and where does that cable originate?

What I would expect to see as I understand your network:

Line diagram (edit and correct as necessary):

Xfinity ISP ----- coax cable ----> Modem with two Ethernet cables going out LAN1 to Computer and LAN 2 to Smart TV.

Your configuration seems to have the coax cable going to the TV - not the modem.

Make and model Smart TV?

From the Command Prompt run the following three commands and post the results.

ping 8.8.8.8

tracert 8.8.8.8

arp -a
C:\windows\system32>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

C:\windows\system32>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.0.0.1
2 7 ms 7 ms 8 ms 96.120.68.157
3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 162.151.170.245
4 7 ms 7 ms 6 ms 162.151.149.173
5 12 ms 10 ms 10 ms be-126-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net [68.85.106.53]
6 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms be-32041-cs04.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.42.13]
7 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms be-3412-pe12.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.34.46]
8 15 ms 14 ms 13 ms 66.208.229.82
9 15 ms 16 ms 17 ms 216.239.56.147
10 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 216.239.62.149
11 15 ms 15 ms 14 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

C:\windows\system32>arp -a

Interface: 10.0.0.6 --- 0x4
Internet Address Physical Address Type
10.0.0.1 44-1c-12-c9-48-4b dynamic
10.0.0.59 28-16-a8-12-ce-ab dynamic
10.0.0.210 b0-a7-37-cf-c0-35 dynamic
10.0.0.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.2 01-00-5e-00-00-02 static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static
224.0.0.251 01-00-5e-00-00-fb static
224.0.0.252 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static
239.255.255.250 01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa static
255.255.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

My smart tv only uses a LAN cable I do not have a coax cable connected to either my modem or my tv.
Port 1 on my modem is for the tv and port 2 is for my pc lan cable.

Ralston18

Titan
No problem. It usually takes some "digging about" etc. to figure things out.....

Make and model Smart TV?

I am trying to determine what IP addresses are being used within your network.

A duplicate IP address or some related mis-configuration may be involved.

Modem = 10.0.0.1
PC = 10.0.0.6 (DHCP, could change.)

TV = ???

Look in the TV's User Guide/Manual to determine the TV's default IP address configuration.

And, reading back, the problem could be with one of the wireless devices. Check their IP addresses as well.

Apr 8, 2021
No problem. It usually takes some "digging about" etc. to figure things out.....

Make and model Smart TV?

I am trying to determine what IP addresses are being used within your network.

A duplicate IP address or some related mis-configuration may be involved.

Modem = 10.0.0.1
PC = 10.0.0.6 (DHCP, could change.)

TV = ???

Look in the TV's User Guide/Manual to determine the TV's default IP address configuration.

And, reading back, the problem could be with one of the wireless devices. Check their IP addresses as well.
Its a Samsung smart tv and the ip is 10.0.0.234
I checked the ips of all the other devices and they are all similar with the last digits being different

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
I have a few devices connected to my modem but even when I disconnected everything but my pc my speed was still slow.

how “default” are the computers settings and automatic updates? Is the computer a pre-built or you assembled yourself from the ground up? Check the task manager and.. well my PC isn’t hooked up right now, but one of tabs on task manager (control, alt and delete).. click one of tabs until you see small graphs. There should be a Ethernet section or graph that will tell you how much mbps your computer is using and even when idling. It will tell you the mbps transfer rates, and provide what you are finding. And watch the graph, especially when the internet “is slow”. Use a small web site that has a small web page and see if it loads, see if the