[SOLVED] My fans makes strange noises

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Hello. A month ago i replaced one of my fans because it started to make noise. Some metallic and mechanical noise. The new fan is starting to make the same noise. Also, today, the PSU fan started to make the same kind of noise (I think that the noise comes from the "motor" of the fans" -im sorry i don't know how to say it in english, but the blades aren't the cause-). I cleaned the PSU, it had dust. Now it is not making noise, but if I put my ear too close I can hear that metallic noise.
Some strange thing was that if I picked up the case from one side and bowed it the noise stopped.
Maybe is the PSU giving too much voltage? It's plugged to a low-class multiple plug. Is everything about dust??

My PSU: Thermaltake BX1 RGB 650W 80+ (was the most expensive PSU in Argentina in 2019)
Case: Sentey X20.
FANS: Cheap Deepcool fans

Solution
Test the case. Fans are moving objects, they do create vibrations. Senty is as cheap as it gets and the noise goes away if you flex the case. I'd be looking for loose screws or more probably a loose rivet that's allowing the frame to buzz.
Hello. A month ago i replaced one of my fans because it started to make noise. Some metallic and mechanical noise. The new fan is starting to make the same noise. Also, today, the PSU fan started to make the same kind of noise (I think that the noise comes from the "motor" of the fans" -im sorry i don't know how to say it in english, but the blades aren't the cause-). I cleaned the PSU, it had dust. Now it is not making noise, but if I put my ear too close I can hear that metallic noise.
Some strange thing was that if I picked up the case from one side and bowed it the noise stopped.
Maybe is the PSU giving too much voltage? It's plugged to a low-class multiple plug. Is everything about dust??

My PSU: Thermaltake BX1 RGB 650W 80+ (was the most expensive PSU in Argentina in 2019)
Case: Sentey X20.
FANS: Cheap Deepcool fans
You said it "Cheap Deepcool fans"

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Test the case. Fans are moving objects, they do create vibrations. Senty is as cheap as it gets and the noise goes away if you flex the case. I'd be looking for loose screws or more probably a loose rivet that's allowing the frame to buzz.

That's right. Noise goes away when I flex the case. I tried that again and it worked to stop the noise. Maybe can I test the fans out of the case? But If I check all the case and tigthen all the screws again with more pressure and fans still make noise it would be better to buy some new and better case?

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Well I tigthen all the screws. The PSU fan stopped the noise. That's good. You were right about vibrations.
One of the top fan's screw doesn't stop turning. That's something about the case or the cheap fan or the screw itself.

Thank you!

Last edited: