Question My first computer setup - Will it run fine (Bottleneck...)?

May 12, 2019
Hey there!

I am looking forward to set up my own computer. Mine is currently over 5 years old and needs to be replaced. I was talking to a buddy and he suggested me to buy following parts:

CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4-3200 CL16

Mainboard: ASRock Z370 Pro DDR4 ATX Retail
Power adapter: 550W Cooler Master

I read that the CPU we used will get bottlenecked by the GPU. Now I am not sure in buying these parts. I found a webseite online where you can calculate bottlenecking between CPU and GPU. The site advised me to buy a better GPU (at least GTX 1070), otherwise it will bottleneck 100% with the current one.

I'll use the new computer only for playing in 1080p and some office work.

Thank you very much in advance. Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,
H3llYe

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Good choice for 1080p, as said above.

However, you don't really need a K CPU and a Z board unless you want to overclock. You can get a H370 board with a non-K CPU to save money.

If money's no issue I say go for the Z370 and the K CPU as Z series usually have better parts with better build quality and longevity such as capacitors and other SMD components..

No way an 8th gen. core i7 like 8700K would 100% bottleneck a 1060 at 1080p. Then again a 1070 is overall better frame rate and a bit "future-proof" as it were. Although for that purpose (and at 1080p) I'd say getting a GTX 1660 may be the way to go. Not that better than a 1070 but would probably have longer driver updates and game optimization than the 1070.