My First PC (Build advice)

Jul 16, 2018
I am finalizing my first PC and was hoping for a bit of advice, before I take the plunge. I would really appreciate any suggestions as to how I can make it more cost effective or suited to my purpose which I will describe below.

My PC at this stage will mainly be for uni work, internet browsing and light programming (including software packages used for mathematics and physics). I will also use Plex and do some light audio manipulation. Later on I hope to cater it more towards gaming as I buy more parts.

My main hope for this PC is that it can last for a decent amount of time, that's why i'm spending a bit more on things like CPU, Case & mobo, with intention of buying a graphics card/sound card/ better monitor in the future.

Here is my part list...

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A
RAM: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133
HDD: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
SSD: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5"
Blu-Ray Drive: Pioneer - BDR-209DBK
WiFi Card: TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower
PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular

Cheap 1080p monitor at this stage, will upgrade when I start gaming with it. No GPU either, will buy one in the future, probably a GTX 1060/70/80/Ti subject to availability and price when I do decide to buy one. (I'll probably need to upgrade RAM too).

Here is my PC part picker list too:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/JacobEverson/saved/jFFfHx

Will this last me for a good length of time (5-10 years)? Will I be able to run AAA games on med-high assuming I upgrade the GPU sensibly? I don't need to run crysis 3 on 4K at 200fps I just want solid performance and for it to last me a long time. Anywhere I can save some money while maintaining the systems longevity?

Don't be afraid to tell me i'm doing something stupid, i'm new to this and probably have no idea. Thanks again for any help!

koleto

Prominent
Apr 29, 2018
The gpu that you need is gtx 1070 / 1070 ti . There is no big difference between these two. But gtx 1070 is enough. Currently i have msi gtx 1070 Armor OC it is doing a great job . After 1 year i will be upgrading my cpu , ram and motherboard . So you need just to choose the correct monitor (output) because video cards have different output or input , one of these :D , so if you get this armor OC you need a DVI-D monitor , which is the most common one.