My first time, and I could use some help

G

Hey everyone,
Thanks to the help of all of you I have picked out, ordered, and recieved my new computer. Now I have to build it. This is something new for me and I don't want to mess it up. Could you guys suggest the MoBo setting I need to set on the board? IE RAM voltage, jumpers, etc.. Here is the system. ASUS A7V, 900Mhz T-bird, Gladiac GeForce, 384 RAM (1x256, 1x128) pc 133, AOpen mid tower 300W athalon certified, X gamer 5.1, Maxtor 60 GB 5400 RPM ATA100. Please ANY setting/suggestions you can offer would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just throw it in the box and Shake!

Oh not shake-n-bake huh?

Serious AMD has instructions on theier site. Your mobo book should even have instruction. Yeah yeah but how wants to read ... hurry lets Quake!!! They ussually suggest only putting in video card and then add one at a time after you are set-up. I like to do the following:

1) Throw it all in

2) Check bios, set default, then check your CPU settings (look at AMD's site for your correct voltage settings, although should be ok)

3) boot with floppy and section, format and install

4) install chipset software, video software then the next card and next . . .

5) check for updates on drivers (might want to make sure it runs OK first and change one at a time in case of a prob.)

*** Careful of static shock*** a shock you can't even feel can kill you mobo and cards

now read the book!!!!

arstechnia I believe has a guide

Tom may even have one and a lot more sites

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A7v is self-config , dont worry about jumpers
and if you are doing win2k READ THE MANUAL FIRST
on second thought Read it first anyway takes 15min ;)

Bored Certified,tech

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it's hard to answer such a generic, open-ended questions without ending up writing a whole guide... and there are guides already available. Check arstechnica, pcguide, tomshardware, plus your manuals & manufacturer's websites.
If you encounter a specific problem though, post the details and you're likely to get a helpful, specific answer...

Good Luck:)

TRENDING THREADS