Question My first VR Headset - recommendations?

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Huh, didn't see any obvious discussions on this!

Anyway, I'm looking to get my first VR head set. I'm in the UK - why does this matter? Because by the looks of it, most headset stock seems to be in the EU, and we're not, therefore there are import duties to pay.

I don't want an Occulus / Meta - sorry Mark, but.... no.

Budget isn't the biggest issue here - the biggest issue is having something that has a decent returns policy, as my worry would be I'd just not use it or not be wowed enough by it. I know, that's a rubbish issue!

I'd most likely be using it for simming of some kind - Flight Sim, Elite, etc. But open to other uses. Half Life: Alyx is a certainty I think, and will see where it takes me. Particularly interested in seeing how possible it is to function as a productivity device / monitor. Pass through isn't a big thing yet is it?

I have a 3070Ti desktop, and a 3080 (external / discrete graphics) laptop, so performance shouldn't be a problem.

I wear glasses

I feel like having an Outside In system will give me the best experience, though obviously the biggest faff. However I get the impression I could get a decent Inside Out system like the HP Reverb G2 and add lighthouses and the Valve controllers to it later so I've at least got an option for better controller tracking (and then get an outside in headset later if I really get in to it)

Options I think are:

HP Reverb G2 - probably the best compromise choice? Though I see mention that the controllers aren't the best, no capacitive control, and drop out fairly easily (hence my note above about adding lighthouses and valve controllers later if I get into it). Also, it's not clear if the G2 is the V1 or V2 model that's being sold in Europe / UK - and I'm not sure if it matters? Oh, and whilst it's the budget option here, it's £577 in the UK, which seems far higher than the international prices - I suspect due to import duties
HTC Vive Pro 2 - though the reviews aren't great at all
(Not the Valve Index - it's just too old and expensive for its age, given the performance of other headsets now ?)
maybe the Varjo Aero, but the initial cost and the fact I'd need to buy base station, controllers and audio / mic.... and as a first device when I'm not even sure how I'd get on, but if it can be truly justified it's not completely out of my mind.
(Uncertain about Pimax - as I think are the reviewers!)

Last edited:
Did...did you just call the Index old for its age???

Man I must be way out of the VR game if the Index is old for its age!

For the Reverb v1 vs v2 I feel like this would be the best showcase, as the pictures probably help more than explaining it

I',m not sure I've ever heard a good review for a Vive Pro. They're often quite expensive for what I believe most find to be not sufficient gains. (Which I think got stronger with the release of the Valve Index)

As for the other two, I mean they seem fine. I saw some were having issues with Varjo's software but maybe it's fine now?

Also you mention about having to buy base station and controllers...does the Vive Pro have bundles with them included?

Truth be told the simple answer might be get either the Pimax, Aero, or Reverb from somewhere with a good return policy and see which one works best for you. I think the lack of discussion is from most people leaning into either the Quest 2, Valve Index, or getting an OG Vive and either those are good enough for their use case or they end up not using it all that much.

I believe there's some virtual desktops that allow you to use your computer in VR. As I recall, they're ok but were never something I would see myself using often.

Not sure how helpful this is but maybe it'll help?

Reactions: James Blonde

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Definitely useful - thanks! :D

I think you're right about the reason for the lack of discussion. If you've already got a half decent headset, you've either got one of these and there is nothing compelling about the competing headsets to make you upgrade, or you don't use it enough to justify the expense given the price would be a big step up. (which is kind of my worry). Which kind of makes it a bit more difficult for those coming new to the market?

Have I not got this right? Isn't the Index a 2019 device, Reverb G2 v1 a 2020 device (with the v2 being a 2021 refresh) and the Vive Pro 2 a mid-late 2021 device?

What I meant is the Index is seemingly expensive for its age*, being 2-3 years old and with a noticeably lower resolution. I know it's not obsolete, I know it's been the benchmark / flagship for ages, and if you've already got one there is no way you'd choose one of the others, but for someone coming g to the market new, it seems late in a product lifecycle to be buying into a product that must be due an update? and it doesn't seem to have been discounted much, though... see below....

In terms of UK (Amazon) prices, the Reverb is £577, Vive Pro 2 full kit is £1299, (looks like you can get the headset only for around £700), and the Index is £1239. The Aero is €1990 excluding taxes, and the UK is being hammered with import duties now so add

*Though.... I guess I needed to do a deeper dive here! It seems the Index is £919 for the full kit on Steam, with 2 controllers, 2 base stations (and stands) and Half Life : Alyx... maybe I'm too easily dismissing the Index? Especially when I'm talking about buying the controllers and base station for the Reverb anyway, and if I got into it, the Aero or Pimax would be the next steps up, and they need the base station and controllers (unless the tech changes) .... so.... the Index controllers are £259 (and out of stock) on their own, and the base stations are £139 each (and you need 2....) - so you could argue that makes the Index headset a "cheap" £382 and makes my set up future proof if / when I decide to buy a new headset!

I've given the headset only price for the Vive Pro 2 as well, as I see it suggested that you might want to buy the Index controllers separately instead (and I guess the SteamVR 2.0 base station?) But, as you say, not seeing good reviews of the Vive Pro 2 (the reviews I see aren't bad as such, other than it gets hot and it's a missed opportunity to be better = doesn't offer any more than a Reverb 2 with a base station / index controllers.

Maybe the Index - still being the benchmark - is still the way forward? Urgh, just when I thought I had an easyish decision!

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
OK, double posting here, I'm sorry.

Not seeing any really positive or current news on an update to the Valve VR offering, other than talk of perhaps a standalone outside in headset, maybe, assuming they haven't pulled out of it completely and focussed effort on the Steam Deck. So that's not good. But also means buying an Index doesn't necessarily mean the base station and controllers will be of use later if they no longer use them!

On the Vive Pro 2, it's not that it's bad as such (though audio and mic aren't rated at all), it's just not a better headset than the Reverb, and it's advised you get the SteamVR base station and Index controllers. Although I'm saying that, and I'm now starting to see positive practical reviews made after their initial review.

Which brings me back round to the Reverb. The one thing that's common about the complaints around the Reverb G2 is that it's controller tracking that people seem to complain about - not headset tracking. Is that what people find who've tried it? Because I'm again thinking Reverb G2 and move to SteamVR base station and Index controllers in slower time...

As is always the case, there's not just 1 device that has up-to-date specs and really does everything! Urgh!

Last edited:
Valve works on Valve Time. If they are working on something, unless you're really willing to wait, I'd say don't worry about an Index 2 yet. Vive Pro series never made sense to me but to be fair I've only ever been an OG Vive user.

My think with the Reverb is it seems like buying a lot of extras for something that you aren't sure yet that you will keep. Granted you can return them I guess but it seems like a lot of extraneous work.

Reactions: James Blonde

Wolfshadw

Titan
It is, probably, the worst time to be getting into VR. I've had my Lenovo Explorer WMR headset for a few years now and to be honest, it doesn't get as much use as it should. If you're just not sure about VR, then I recommend you do what I did and get one of the lower-cost options (like the HP) and see if it's something you might want to keep. It's a relatively small investment and then you have options:

1. You find out you REALLY like VR and decide to upgrade. Sell the HP to recoup some of your original cost.
  2. You find out that VR isn't too bad and you decide to keep the HP. You can still muck around with it, but it's not that big of an investment
  3. You find out the VR just isn't your thing (but at least now you know) and you can try to sell the HP to recoup some of your original cost.

For the record, I fell into #2. I still have my Lenovo Explorer ($200 investment a few years ago) and it gets used a few times a month, but that's all.

-Wolf sends

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Yep, I do wonder if now is not the time to be looking at this - feels like the industry doesn't quite know where it's going (except Facebook, who are just taking over everything, which is unhealthy for any industry to be dominated by 1 player) and seems there just aren't enough players to force innovation and evolution. But... I just want to try it out and see if it's likely to be for me! I think it will be, but until I try it...?

One of the big problems I'm finding on the G2 is import costs seem to be disproportionately affecting it. But I do get what you're saying about just getting the lower cost option and building from there, and the G2 keeps looking like the right option for now....

Last edited:

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
post dredge, but have been playing with the Vive Pro 2 for a couple of weeks, and the Reverb G2 (v1 I think) arrived this week, so finally had a chance to compare them both tonight. Not for too long, but I think long enough....

and the Reverb gets the win based on a couple of hours use! :) The Vive Pro 2 will be going back :(

and it's mostly because there is not £6-700 difference between the 2 systems.

Tracking on the Reverb seemed fine. Ironically, sitting down (which is where I suspect most of my VR playing will be), I was losing controller tracking on the Vive more than I was on the Reverb, primarily because the lighthouses were above the desk height so lost sight of the controllers if I ever had to bend down. The Reverb handled that perfectly.

The Reverb was lighter, don't think it was any less comfortable, but had a tighter light seal around my face. It didn't suffer from any god rays or glare like the Vive, and the sweet spot was a lot larger - so the whole display was far far crisper. I'm still unsure of the audio - I think I prefer an on ear headphone such as on the Vive, as it just gives you a bit more noise isolation, and actually I thought the audio quality was pretty good! I know the reviews of the Reverb (and Index) audio raved about it, but I'm hearing way too much background noise and I'm not getting the definition from them - and obviously they leak sound so maybe not so good for night sessions. I do wonder if I'm doing something wrong or missing something??

The Reverb controllers obviously aren't as good as the Vive ones, but actually... they're fine? Would love to have tried the Index controllers though, just for comparison. For sims, I do wonder if that better tracking (finger tracking???) would help with switches and stuff? But otherwise at the moment, I guess HL:Alyx is the game I'm most likely to use them with - the other games I've bought are joystick / throttle based. Headset trakcing seems fine - I'm not likely to play in the dark, and our rooms are contrasty so didn't expect this to be a problem, and it's not.

and the portability of the Reverb is also a big win - I can take that downstairs and play with it on my laptop in a bigger room, and it worked perfectly - I actually had space to walk around! Wouldn't be able to do that with the Vive.

So... sorry HTC! I wanted your headset to.... not necessarily win hands down, but at least be worth the extra money! and it isn't.

Reactions: Wolfshadw

TRENDING THREADS