Question My friend gets 30-40 fps lower than me in every game with a similar spec, please solve us this mystery

Mar 8, 2023
Hello guys,

My friend gets 30-40 lower fps in every game compared to me and after trying literally everything to our knowledge and we still can't figure it out why this is happening.

His specs:
i7-8700 (his cpu is running at 4.1GHz in games)
RTX 2080
16gb RAM
AsRock z370 Killer SLI

My specs:
i7-8700K (I lowered my clock to 4.1GHz to compare but I still get at least 30 more fps in most modern games)
RTX 2060
16gb RAM
AsRock z370 Extreme4

We use the exact same in game/nvidia control panel/windows settings for every game but nothing seems to fix it for him.
His temps are fine (no thermal throttling), his benchmarks are fine but in games he always gets way lower fps.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:
No two machines can be similar even if they have identical specs. Yours have different components anyways. There will always be some difference between two machines.
RAM timings may vary, VRM temps may vary, storage speeds may vary, etc. etc All of these combined will give you different throughput results. And even if they were same there would be difference of binning which can never be matched.

Hello guys,

My friend gets 30-40 lower fps in every game compared to me and after trying literally everything to our knowledge we still can't figure it out why this is happening.

His specs:
RTX 2080
16gb RAM
AsRock z370 Killer SLI

My specs:
i7-8700K (I lowered my clock to 4.1GHz to compare but I still get at least 30 more fps in most modern games)
RTX 2060
16gb RAM
AsRock z370 Extreme4

We use the exact same in game/nvidia control panel/windows settings for every game but nothing seems to fix it for him.
His temps are fine (no thermal throttling), his benchmarks are fine but in games he always gets way lower fps.

Does your friend have his RAM running in dual channel and XMP enabled?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello guys,

My friend gets 30-40 lower fps in every game compared to me and after trying literally everything to our knowledge and we still can't figure it out why this is happening.

His specs:
RTX 2080
16gb RAM
AsRock z370 Killer SLI

My specs:
RTX 2060
16gb RAM
AsRock z370 Extreme4

What is the brand, model, etc. of the RAM? Are those the exact same? From the specs, you don’t have identical systems. The i7-8700 is not as powerful as an i7-8700K. Your friend might have a better GPU but the CPU also plays a role in FPS. I’m willing to bet that the RAM is the most significant factor in this comparison.

You probably have different display resolutions.
For example you're using 1080p, but your friend 1440p or 4k.

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
What monitor and resolution are you both using and what v-sync options?
Like @SkyNetRising posted you might be playing at different resolutions
Or
He has v-sync or something enabled (and you don't) and his monitor caps at 60 Hz/FPS whereas yours "caps" at 144. So maybe you can't reach 144, that's why your difference fluctuates.

Hello guys,

His specs:
RTX 2080
16gb RAM
AsRock z370 Killer SLI

My specs:
RTX 2060
16gb RAM
AsRock z370 Extreme4

Have your friend run this and then post a LINK to the results page.
Let's see if something obvious shows.
UBM

Run ubm like this.
Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.

Games are limited by either the cpu or the gpu.
In theory, a RTX2080 should out perform a RTX2060

Hence, one would think of a cpu performance difference.
Try a simple cpu-Z bench test of the i7-8700 which should take the graphics out of the comparison.
In particular, look at the single thread rating. You should see a number like 506:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/bi01bq
The i7-8700K should be only marginally higher.
Your 8700K can be overclocked and your motherboard can handle a good overclock.
Perhaps as much as 30% boost.
Run the same test on your 8700K and apply the same 4.1 limit and see if the results remain the same.

If you conclude that the processors are essentially similar, then look at graphics settings.
Are both graphics drivers up to date?

TRENDING THREADS