[SOLVED] My friend gets more fps than in minecraft although both of us have the same computer specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2021
Hello everyone, I am making this thread because of a little problem I've been facing. Today I was playing minecraft with my friend and I asked him his specs. His specs are almost the same as mine and still he gets over 400 fps!

He has an Intel i5 processor and a GTX 950, while I have a ryzen 5 processor with a Radeon rx 560x graphics card (Which I believe is better than a GTX 950).

We both have the same minecraft settings. So can someone please help with this problem? Because if a system with lower specs than mine can get so much fps, then I think I can too. I just need help knowing why this is happening and whether maybe can I get the same frame rate while playing minecraft on my system?

Solution
These systems are very different, mobile vs desktop. His cpu is a fair bit stronger especially in single core performance which is important for Minecraft. Userbenchmark is not the best tool for comparing CPU’s but trying to compare mobile and desktop cpu’s isn’t that common so it’s the best I could do, it gives a rough idea of the difference https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3550H/3503vsm718601

You are also running single channel RAM vs his dual channel. Single channel RAM will impact cpu performance so your cpu is also being held back by the RAM configuration.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
There are many other factors that could affects fps aside from CPU and GPU.

Factors such as:
  • RAM size or speed.
  • HDD or SSD (How full are they and regular defragmentation of HDD?).
  • HDD and SSD speed as well as its DISK USAGE at idle (look at Task Manager).
  • OS.
  • In-game graphic settings; perhaps he put it on lower settings than yours.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello everyone, I am making this thread because of a little problem I've been facing. Today I was playing minecraft with my friend and I asked him his specs. His specs are almost the same as mine and still he gets over 400 fps!

He has an Intel i5 processor and a GTX 950, while I have a ryzen 5 processor with a Radeon rx 560x graphics card (Which I believe is better than a GTX 950).

We both have the same minecraft settings. So can someone please help with this problem? Because if a system with lower specs than mine can get so much fps, then I think I can too. I just need help knowing why this is happening and whether maybe can I get the same frame rate while playing minecraft on my system?
Those 2 PC's can't be considered the same.

This says 30% better card on a generic benchmark.

https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-GTX-950-vs-Radeon-RX-560X

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm too lazy to look up Minecraft performance on Youtube, but given its light nature and heavy dependence on system memory, it might be difficult to find a good comparison. And being an easy to run title for the most part, minor differences will show up as pretty big gaps in performance.

Still an i5-760 vs a Ryzen 5 3600 or something is going to be night and day. Everything but a late model i5 say 8th gen and up compares favorably to Ryzen 5, but 1000 series Ryzen was about as fast as Intel 4th gen, 2000 series was a minor improvement, 3000 series matched well with Skylake and Kabylake, and the 5000 series is the current leader, in most things.

Jul 28, 2021
Which i5 processor and which Ryzen 5 processor, quite important.

You've left of system memory.

GTX 950 and RX560 are quite comparable.

Eximo I ran speccy and these are the full specs:
ME:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 Mobile 3550H 61 °C
Picasso 12nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1067MHz (17-17-17-39)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. FX705DY (FP5)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
4096MB ATI Radeon RX 560X (ASUStek Computer Inc) 46 °C
256MB ATI AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (ASUStek Computer Inc)
CrossFire Disabled
Storage
476GB Micron_2200V_MTFDHBA512TCK (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

MY FRIEND:

Operating System
More data is available.
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz 87 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
32377091-S-t-e-l-l-a-r-258306376 324017840-S-t-e-l-l-a-r-1092630439 (U3E1) 38 °C
Graphics
G215HV (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (EVGA) 54 °C
Storage
953GB ADATA SU750 (SATA (SSD)) 53 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Those 2 PC's can't be considered the same.

This says 30% better card on a generic benchmark.

https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-GTX-950-vs-Radeon-RX-560X

Well the AMD equivalent of an i5 processor is ryzen 5 and the Radeon rx 560x is equivalent to the GTX 1060, so overall I think I have better specs

Jul 28, 2021
There are many other factors that could affects fps aside from CPU and GPU.

Factors such as:
  • RAM size or speed.
  • HDD or SSD (How full are they and regular defragmentation of HDD?).
  • HDD and SSD speed as well as its DISK USAGE at idle (look at Task Manager).
  • OS.
  • In-game graphic settings; perhaps he put it on lower settings than yours.

He has 16GB RAM while I have 8GB RAM, but I have more SSD space and he has a 2gb graphics card while I have a 4gb one and our in game settings are the same.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
He has 16GB RAM while I have 8GB RAM, but I have more SSD space and he has a 2gb graphics card while I have a 4gb one and our in game settings are the same.
Having more SSD space doesn't really matter much as it does for having more HDD space remaining. However, like what Zerk2012 had said there is a equivalent of 30% different between your cards on a generic bench mark.

Furthermore, even if you card are equivalent there can be huge differences sometime; one GPU can run better at one game while the other run much more better in another game.

You also have only 8GB ram while your friend has 16GB, it may be a substantial difference even for game like Minecraft if graphic settings are high or using graphic enhancement mods.

These systems are very different, mobile vs desktop. His cpu is a fair bit stronger especially in single core performance which is important for Minecraft. Userbenchmark is not the best tool for comparing CPU’s but trying to compare mobile and desktop cpu’s isn’t that common so it’s the best I could do, it gives a rough idea of the difference https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3550H/3503vsm718601

You are also running single channel RAM vs his dual channel. Single channel RAM will impact cpu performance so your cpu is also being held back by the RAM configuration.

Solution
Jul 28, 2021
Having more SSD space doesn't really matter much as it does for having more HDD space remaining. However, like what Zerk2012 had said there is a equivalent of 30% different between your cards on a generic bench mark.

Furthermore, even if you card are equivalent there can be huge differences sometime; one GPU can run better at one game while the other run much more better in another game.

You also have only 8GB ram while your friend has 16GB, it may be a substantial difference even for game like Minecraft if graphic settings are high or using graphic enhancement mods.
so does that mean that his pc is actually better and I can't get the same fps as him?

so does that mean that his pc is actually better and I can't get the same fps as him?
you are comparing a laptop to a desktop

your gpu and cpu are both castrated for heat and power (battery life and thermals)

mobile cpu < same desktop cpu

mobile gpu < same desktop gpu

and by a lot

even a desktop with lesser specs then your friend would still leave you in the dust

personaly i only advise a "gaming laptop" when you need the mobility, all other scenarios, get a desktop

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
That depends on the game you guys are playing. Your Radeon card may get better performance in one game and less performance in another game compared to GTX.

But generally speaking yes, your friend is more likely to get better fps from the 30% performance different on his GPU and possibly better CPU.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

kermajuk

BANNED
May 4, 2022
The server requires only CPU power and a little RAM. The burden of modifications also falls on the processor and RAM. Graphic mods are installed in the client, not on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.