Question My FX 6300 clock is spiking up to 4.8Ghz , why?

My FX 6300 clock at BIOS is set to 4.0Ghz through the multiplier. All is fine, the pc is faster in general use, the problem is that
on HW Monitor the max clock registered is 4.8Ghz. The temperature is normal, but why does the clock spike like this?

CPU:FX6300
MB: M5A78L-M LX V2
GPU: R7 240 2GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Storage: 1 HD + 1 SSD
PSU: Gamemax GP 650

View: https://imgur.com/a/uN0CL4W
What are your turbo boost settings in BIOS? Not that I seriously think the processor can boost that high, mainly just curious.

I suggest getting HWInfo64 as it gives you quite a bit more information to work with, like core multipliers. And, as well, lets you graph them out to see just how often it does this or whether it's just an odd glitch that happens rarely. You can also compare other parameters to see how they behave during one of those "boosts".

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
What are your turbo boost settings in BIOS? Not that I seriously think the processor can boost that high, mainly just curious.

I suggest getting HWInfo64 as it gives you quite a bit more information to work with, like core multipliers. And, as well, lets you graph them out to see just how often it does this or whether it's just an odd glitch that happens rarely. You can also compare other parameters to see how they behave during one of those "boosts".

The turbo boost option is disabled in BIOS, I've disabled the C-states as well and also disabled Cool 'n Quiet.

OK I'm using HWInfo now, I'll leave it alone to track my cpu clock.
The turbo boost option is disabled in BIOS, I've disabled the C-states as well and also disabled Cool 'n Quiet.
The neat feature of HWInfo64 is to right click on a sensor report and display a graph of it for comparing different items to see if something like that spike is real or just a glitch in the super i/o chip or HWMonitor.

But I do suggest leaving CnQ and Advanced C States enabled. Even though 4.0Ghz is a fairly mild OC, it helps a lot with minimizing degradation by bringing CPU clocks, voltage and keep temperature down during idle moments. I know many do suggest to disable them but I've never seen it to interfere with performance, not even while gaming as I've never felt it introduce stuttering or anything else.

Last edited: