[SOLVED] My games will not run smoothly on my pretty decent build.

JRP Jacob

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
I have recently upgraded my pc and was intending to not have to play on lower settings, but there's an issue. Whenever I play something like League of Legends without v-sync on it's all glitchy. I've tried uninstall my GPU drivers with DDU and installing them over again, i've tried reinstalling windows, and many more things to get this to stop. I have fairly decent specs and don't think I should be having problems glitching in games like League of Legends. One more thing i've wondered is that my CPU's base clock is 3.2GHz but it runs at 3.5 by default for some reason, I'm also wondering if that's the culprit because I never OC'd the CPU. If anyone could help out i'd be very much appreciative of your help.

My build is:
Evga 550W fully modular 80+ gold certification
B450 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 1600 AF
Corsair Vegenance LPX series 16gb 2x 8 sticks DDR4-3000MHz (Running them at 2933MHz)
XFX Radeon RX 580 8gb
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD (Boot Drive)
Western Digital 1TB HDD (9 years old not boot drive though)
Sata III 110gb SSD

Windows 10 professional

Solution
Nope. Urban myth, if you want to call it that. Ppl can spend way too much money on cpus and gpus and OC ability, to try and get maximum fps output possible, but forget that all that is useless. When dealing with a 60Hz monitor, whether that's 4k or 1080P, all that matters is minimums. Getting 300fps in CSGO is nice, but you only get 60 on screen, so doesn't matter if you only get 200fps or get 300fps output, you still only see 60. The disadvantage of such high fps is increased risk of tearing, where frames are out of sync with the refresh and get only partially shown before refresh starts a new frame.

That's what vsync is for, to sync gpu frames and refresh. It was considered bad since it appears to cap gpu output to 60 frames for a...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Glitchy as in a jitter look?

Cpu's have turbo boost. Ryzen 5 1600 AF can boost up to 3.6 depending on temps & cores used. Based on usage and Windows power plan, speeds can fluctuate or pegged to the highest possible speed if power plan is set to high performance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I'd have to see for myself to get an idea of what you're seeing but from experience playing on 60Hz screens, the jitters is normal behaviour.

If reason you don't use vsync because of input lag there is a trick to that if you want to try. Use builtin fps cap, either in Adrenaline or game and cap a couple fps below refresh. Vsync shouldn't give you input lag then.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. Urban myth, if you want to call it that. Ppl can spend way too much money on cpus and gpus and OC ability, to try and get maximum fps output possible, but forget that all that is useless. When dealing with a 60Hz monitor, whether that's 4k or 1080P, all that matters is minimums. Getting 300fps in CSGO is nice, but you only get 60 on screen, so doesn't matter if you only get 200fps or get 300fps output, you still only see 60. The disadvantage of such high fps is increased risk of tearing, where frames are out of sync with the refresh and get only partially shown before refresh starts a new frame.

That's what vsync is for, to sync gpu frames and refresh. It was considered bad since it appears to cap gpu output to 60 frames for a 1:1 ratio, after spending uber $ to get much higher counts.

Personally, I use it often on a game-game basis. I could care less about maximum performance, I want a good, smooth, quality picture.

Does it really matter if your cars top speed is 120mph or 220mph if the speed limit on the Interstate is 70mph? I'd rather have a car capable of at least 70mph, with a killer comfortable ride.

And there's a difference between 'jitters' and tearing,

Last edited:
Solution