Question My Gaming Laptop Doesn't Work as it Used to

Mar 1, 2019
Hi.
I have a Asus ROG GL552VW gaming laptop. it has a Nvidia GeForce 960m - 16GB Ram. When i bought it i installed Doom with High setting in 1080p and i played it with 40 fps and it was fine. Now 3 years passed and i upgraded all of my drivers and my windows to build 1809. when i play my game now it runs at 17 fps and game setting is on medium. I don't know what's happening to my Laptop. it's Normal or there's something wrong ?

The Things i Tried :
  • Upgraded Everything (Display - Audio - Bios - Window & ... )
  • Disabled GameDVR
  • I don't have any antivirus, only window defender
  • Put my pc on High Performance
  • Get rid of unnecessary services and startups
  • All of My Games Run With Nvidia GeForce 960m not Integrated
Games FPS's :
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Very LOW - 720p - 14-21 fps
Metro Exodus - very LOW - 768p - 18-24 fps
Far Cry New Dawn - very LOW - 720p - 14-21 fps
GTA V - High - 1080p - 45-50 fps (Very Smooth)

This is my PC info generated from Nvidia :
[Display]
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
DirectX version: 12.0
GPU processor: GeForce GTX 960M
Driver version: 419.17
Driver Type: Standard
Direct3D API version: 12
Direct3D feature level: 11_0
CUDA Cores: 640
Core clock: 1097 MHz
Memory data rate: 5.01 Gbps
Memory interface: 128-bit
Memory bandwidth: 80.16 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 11995 MB
Dedicated video memory: 4096 MB GDDR5
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 7899 MB
Video BIOS version: 82.07.97.00.0E
IRQ: Not used
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3
Device Id: 10DE 139B 1C5D1043
Part Number: 2704 0010

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019
What are your NVidia clocks and utilization percentage looking like? Also, which NVidia driver version are you running - and which others have you tried, if any?
My Nvidia Utilization precentage is on 96% to 100% and my CPU is 25% 3/14 Ghz while playing APEX LEGENDS
My Driver version is 419.17 I haven't tried lower versions, i update every time there's a new one available

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019
Temperatures maybe the factor, or your hdd is full and not so much available for swapping?
Do any of the other games perform badly?
Older games like mass effect 3 and l.a noire and gtav works fine. But new games like shadow of tomb raider, mass effect Andromeda, AC Odyssey are so laggy.
I use coolpad for my laptop temperature seems fine.
My HDD has 125 GB Free but also i tried installing my game on my SSD Hard Drive. Same Result.
Actually there's something odd happening when im playing tomb raider, its on 17fps but when i click on windows button and game minimizes then open the game again, it's on 50fps and fully working for 2 second and then it's on 17fps again

my CPU is 25% 3/14 Ghz while playing APEX LEGENDS
Your CPU load should be much higher, closer to what your GPU utilization is. If you're seeing ~25% CPU usage in other games exhibiting the same problem, I think that's your issue.

Side note: Windows Defender reportedly has a much higher impact on system resources than many third party anti-virus applications (not that that is your problem here).

Reactions: Biupax
Mar 1, 2019
Your CPU load should be much higher, closer to what your GPU utilization is. If you're seeing ~25% CPU usage in other games exhibiting the same problem, I think that's your issue.

Side note: Windows Defender reportedly has a much higher impact on system resources than many third party anti-virus applications (not that that is your problem here).
If that's it, what you recommend to do ?
I tried with ESET NOD32 and it was the same.
I Got New Information From GPU-Z

z2x.png

hdk.png

Mar 1, 2019
is it possible that my GPU is outdated ?
i guess it's not a bad specs for playing games, but i have to deal with it
i think it can run games in proper 30fps