Question My GPU, 1650 Super, Died

Karnawgie

Prominent
Dec 20, 2022
I was playing a game earlier and my pc died. After it not turning back on, I assumed something broke.

I built this pc a little under two years ago and it's ran great since (main specs at bottom). When it died and I tried to start it up, I heard nothing but a click and received 0 output . Not even an ez debug led. I started troubleshooting by unplugging and reseating all of the cables from my PSU and for the MOBO, reseating ram, and using a different power outlet. I moved onto testing the PSU with a paper clip, and it seemed to function fine. I then removed my GPU and the pc started up and gave me a 'vga' debug. I reseated the GPU and got the same 2 little clicks from my PSU upon pressing the power button. I tried the other PCI-E slot along with the other end of the 6 pin connector, and swapped the modular slots on the PSU, same outcome.

I took an old rx 460 out of another computer and put it into my pc, and it started right up no problem. I went through the motions a couple more times, and tried using both of the cards at one time in either pcie slot and the pc just wont start with the 1650 installed. So, i guess my card is fried.

I assume it overheated as it is a budget card with a single fan, and I recently got back into gaming so its received a lot of load and high temps recently. Not to mention I haven't cleaned my pc since this happened today.

So, I write this to tell my story and get an opinion on the situation. Anything I should try before buying a new card? Only other thing I can think happened is that my 6+2 pin from my PSU stopped working, but I think that's unlikely.
Thanks for your time.

Specs:
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
Corsair RM650x
PNY XLR8 1650 SUPER
Ryzen 5 3600

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
You can always test the output of your psu with a multimeter and see if you're getting proper voltage to the pcie power connector.

On the bright side, the 1650 is getting pretty dated...and it was never that powerful to begin with. Perhaps it's time to move up to a 750-850 watt power supply and move to a 3xxx or 4xxx gpu.

Karnawgie

Prominent
Dec 20, 2022
You can always test the output of your psu with a multimeter and see if you're getting proper voltage to the pcie power connector.

On the bright side, the 1650 is getting pretty dated...and it was never that powerful to begin with. Perhaps it's time to move up to a 750-850 watt power supply and move to a 3xxx or 4xxx gpu.
Thanks for the response, using a multimeter is a good idea. I just checked and got a solid 12 volts out of each 6 pin on the cable.
Yeah, the card is pretty dated. I am a casual player though and not sure if I want to spend more than 200 on a new gpu as is, i was real happy with my 1650.
Guess that concludes my issue here.

Reactions: letmepicyou