[SOLVED] my GPU air flow after installing AIO or air

Sep 14, 2020
I have a NZXT H510. inside lay an ASUS X570 P, R5 3600 and a Gigabyte RX 580. my thermals are roughly 70-80c CPU and 70-80c GPU. i plan on getting either a RTX 3070-3080 or AMD equivalent. the case has no intake in front, just a small strip on the front of the back side panel. i plan on cutting a hole infront and covering it with a magnetic 240mm dust filter on amazon (or making my own). currently it has the max amount of fans it can hold. 2 in the front for intake and 1 in back and 1 on top both for exhaust. it has room for 1 240mm rad in front, however even with my added front intake it has no other intake. if i cover that one and only intake entrance with a rad will i be choking my GPU? I would like to have liquid cooling but is my best bet to use an air cooler for my CPU leaving my front intake open for airflow from just the fans? this has been my first build, i did it about 2 months ago.
so, in summary, regarding my current thermals with my hardware and taking into account a possible GPU upgrade how should i go about improving my pc thermals? fan flow front intake with a CPU air cooler or a 240mm radiator in front with no other fan intake?:rolleyes::oops:

Solution
The 510 should be set up as negative pressure. That means rear/top rear exhausts only. No intake fans at all.

My guess is with the 3000 series, since it has pass through cooling, the setup will be the same, except for the need for a slightly larger surface area air cooler as it'll have to deal with direct gpu exhaust as an intake. I'd expect idle temps to be slightly higher than normal.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd copy-paste my old paste on NZXT's H500 series, but I've lost it and forgot to bookmark it. Starting over...

H500 series is not an outright terrible chassis, but it is misunderstood and misused.
This chassis has hard limits on it's cooling options, and I will share with you the best way to work with those limits - no need to chop it up.

Stock fan config is the best overall when air cooling only. Adding fans in the front is actually detrimental.
The front bracket should be reserved for what is the hottest component between the cpu and the gpu. Most users who have this chassis have it backwards and liquid cooled the cpu instead.
Far more gpu models push 200w+ of power compared to cpus.

Unfortunately, as the 30 series is new, it is not known what liquid cooling options are currently compatible; that info will be relayed over time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 510 should be set up as negative pressure. That means rear/top rear exhausts only. No intake fans at all.

My guess is with the 3000 series, since it has pass through cooling, the setup will be the same, except for the need for a slightly larger surface area air cooler as it'll have to deal with direct gpu exhaust as an intake. I'd expect idle temps to be slightly higher than normal.

Solution
Sep 14, 2020
yeah I found out bwfore that it was negative pressure. i added 2 cheap fans in font to impeove mu temp becauae I was not thrilled with the stock config of 2 rearward fans only. both GPU and cpu were 85-88c before i added the 2 front fans. i bought thia case for 2 reasons. one was price. it was the nicest looking case for around 60 bucks to my eyes. and two because i had no knowledge of pc thermals. i still have very limited knowledge about many things. my last pc, until I built this, was an old eMachine i got for free about 14 years ago haha. i didnt know about liquid cooling. im very new to actually caring about what a computer has for hardware instead of just what's on the screen. but im loving though. knowing what i know nkw I maybe would have bought a vase that supports a 240 rad on too and air flow in front instead of buying on astetics and naivete. im going to buy a new case sometime in a couple month to a year or so. so for now id like to try and make this my own by modding it. I already plan on cutting out a small hole for an optical drive at the bottom. my main question is/was (disregarding the type of case, i only added that because more info is better) if a case onky has intake in the front, if i put in a rad for cpu in the front would that be bad for the themals of other componets like my GPU or m.2? i imagine that ideally someone would want cool intake in the front for coolonh componets and a rad for cpu on top and out of the way. is this right? even i go back to negative pressure, putting a rad for cpu in front would not be ideal for the aorflow cooling the other components.

TRENDING THREADS