[SOLVED] My GPU is artifacting... What now?

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018
Hello,

I just experienced two artifacts while playing Sea of Thieves on my MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Ventus and am not sure what to do about this.

I am writing this about 5 minutes after it happened so the only things I've done is just a reboot... Running the latest NVIDIA drivers and temps are fine. No OC. What is the best thing to do in this situation? Thanks

Solution
Ventus model do tend to get hot, I'm usually at 70-75c which is not great but as far as I know it isn't harmful either over the short term. I might try a different fan profile if the problem persists.

That's w/r/t the core though, not the memory - which is potentially/probably where any issue will arise.
I don't believe there are temp readouts for the memory on lower end models (anything but the absolute top end, realistically).

Ultimately, if it's the memory, the only 'solution' is to have the fans run faster, moving more air over the memory...... OR and RMA, potentially repeatedly so, until the issue is addressed.
Hello,

I just experienced two artifacts while playing Sea of Thieves on my MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Ventus and am not sure what to do about this.

I am writing this about 5 minutes after it happened so the only things I've done is just a reboot... Running the latest NVIDIA drivers and temps are fine. No OC. What is the best thing to do in this situation? Thanks
I'd wait and see if it happens again just to get a better idea of what's going on.

I had an RTX 2080 Ti start doing that and it got worse and worse until a total green screen (it didn't take long)....then I RMAd it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Actual artifacting? Or a glitch within the game? Important to distinguish that initially.
Some games (mostly on Unreal, IIRC) can get random 'orbs' of colour in certain situations - that's a problem with the game/engine itself.

True artifacting, at stock clocks & reasonable temperatures is cause for concern. Given the 2060 Super is only ~12 months old, absolute maximum, you could look to RMA it.

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018
I'd wait and see if it happens again just to get a better idea of what's going on.

I had an RTX 2080 Ti start doing that and it got worse and worse until a total green screen (it didn't take long)....then I RMAd it.
Yikes... That doesn't sound good. My screen went pretty much entirely green those two times though so I'm quite worried right now.

Thanks for your response

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018
Actual artifacting? Or a glitch within the game? Important to distinguish that initially.
Some games (mostly on Unreal, IIRC) can get random 'orbs' of colour in certain situations - that's a problem with the game/engine itself.

True artifacting, at stock clocks & reasonable temperatures is cause for concern. Given the 2060 Super is only ~12 months old, absolute maximum, you could look to RMA it.
I feel like this was actual artifacting because almost my entire screen went green and I've never experienced this before. Clocks are stock and temperatures are at my usual 70-75 so not great but not different from normal.

Thanks for your response

Yikes... That doesn't sound good. My screen went pretty much entirely green those two times though so I'm quite worried right now.

Thanks for your response
On the plus side...NVidia overnighted me a replacement without even getting the old card back yet. This happened not long after the RTX 2080 Ti came out and I think they were going all out to try and make the new purchasers of 2080 Tis happy. Hopefully MSI is just as good.

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018
On the plus side...NVidia overnighted me a replacement without even getting the old card back yet. This happened not long after the RTX 2080 Ti came out and I think they were going all out to try and make the new purchasers of 2080 Tis happy. Hopefully MSI is just as good.
That's a relief to hear. At least MSI has been at it for a long time so I hope I can expect similar treatment

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I feel like this was actual artifacting because almost my entire screen went green and I've never experienced this before. Clocks are stock and temperatures are at my usual 70-75 so not great but not different from normal.

Yeah, if that's the case, it's likely either a driver concern (which you appear to have ruled out), or truly artifacting...

That's a relief to hear. At least MSI has been at it for a long time so I hope I can expect similar treatment

Each vendor has pros and cons. I've never heard great things about MSI, but hopefully they're easy enough to deal with. Gigabyte with my 1060 a few years ago was not great, and I was down a GPU for about a month....

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018
Yeah, if that's the case, it's likely either a driver concern (which you appear to have ruled out), or truly artifacting...

Each vendor has pros and cons. I've never heard great things about MSI, but hopefully they're easy enough to deal with. Gigabyte with my 1060 a few years ago was not great, and I was down a GPU for about a month....

I didn't mean to rule it out, I can try installing an older driver to see if that helps.

After my reboot I've continued playing and I've not seen another artifact so fingers crossed this was a one time occurrence and I won't have to go through any of that.

Thanks for your advice

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
One thing that comes to mind, being that it's the Ventus model, is thermals.
Artifacting can also be a sign of overheating memory. I'd suggest running a more aggressive fan profile on the card, or even try running games with the front and side panels removed, to see if you still experience the issue.

If the memory clock is OC'd, I'd also suggest dialing back, or removing it.

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018
One thing that comes to mind, being that it's the Ventus model, is thermals.
Artifacting can also be a sign of overheating memory. I'd suggest running a more aggressive fan profile on the card, or even try running games with the front and side panels removed, to see if you still experience the issue.

If the memory clock is OC'd, I'd also suggest dialing back, or removing it.
Ventus model do tend to get hot, I'm usually at 70-75c which is not great but as far as I know it isn't harmful either over the short term. I might try a different fan profile if the problem persists.

I've never had the card OC'd

Thanks for your reply

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

That's w/r/t the core though, not the memory - which is potentially/probably where any issue will arise.
I don't believe there are temp readouts for the memory on lower end models (anything but the absolute top end, realistically).

Ultimately, if it's the memory, the only 'solution' is to have the fans run faster, moving more air over the memory...... OR and RMA, potentially repeatedly so, until the issue is addressed.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Users have to use a thermocouple - or other thermal sensor, on the memory.
Nvidia has the gpus report the thermals as an average of 3: gpu core, memory, VRM. < That can be misleading to those who aren't aware of this.
Being that GDDR6 runs a good deal warmer than the GDDR5X on my 1080Ti that I can get by without a heatsink and just air - they can't.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Users have to use a thermocouple - or other thermal sensor, on the memory.
Nvidia has the gpus report the thermals as an average of 3: gpu core, memory, VRM. < That can be misleading to those who aren't aware of this.
Being that GDDR6 runs a good deal warmer than the GDDR5X on my 1080Ti that I can get by without a heatsink and just air - they can't.

I thought there were memory thermocouples on the EVGA high-end model, and one of the ASUS' offerings? Could be wrong..

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You're actually right about EVGA - their FTWs.
But the OP doesn't have that; Ventus is near the bottom of Msi's gpu product stack.

I know, I wasn't saying the OP had it.

My reply was clarifying the temp they see vs what's truly measured on that card:

Ventus model do tend to get hot, I'm usually at 70-75c which is not great but as far as I know it isn't harmful either over the short term.

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018

I've increased the fan speed a little bit from the default program in MSI Afterburner and my temps are now 69-71c whereas they used to be 70-75c. I'll see how it goes from here and if the problem persists I will change the fan speed again until I hopefully see no more of the problem.

Thanks for your advice.