[SOLVED] My GPU is overheating after applying Thermal Paste, can anyone help me with this?

Jan 2, 2020
Now I know i have an older GPU but I am currently running a Nvidia GeForce GT 530, I have applied thermal paste to it, and for some reason whenever i try to run games such as Rust, Minecraft with shaders on all low settings, League of Legends, and even DayZ it goes into power saving mode once hitting 100 degrees Celcius, I am lost as to why this is happening can someone please help?

TravaCabrera Is this Nvidia GT 530 an OEM GPU from a prebuilt? If so, which manufacturer and build is your computer? What inspired you to reapply the thermal paste? Did you just obtain this part and wanted to refurbish it, or did something indicate that the GPU was overheating? Which software tool is indicating the 100C temperature and that it's entering power savings (thermal throttling?) mode? If not too much trouble, would you mind listing your full specs. My reason for asking you this is to determine if your integrated graphics exceed your GPU

Side question: Are you located in the United States, Europe, or other? A GT 530 is an under-powered GPU that is surpassed by modern integrated graphics, no offense. I only ask this question in the unlikely event that someone in the community might have a hand-me-down GPU that they wouldn't mind parting with to help a fellow gamer.

Jan 2, 2020
TravaCabrera Is this Nvidia GT 530 an OEM GPU from a prebuilt? If so, which manufacturer and build is your computer? What inspired you to reapply the thermal paste? Did you just obtain this part and wanted to refurbish it, or did something indicate that the GPU was overheating? Which software tool is indicating the 100C temperature and that it's entering power savings (thermal throttling?) mode? If not too much trouble, would you mind listing your full specs. My reason for asking you this is to determine if your integrated graphics exceed your GPU

Side question: Are you located in the United States, Europe, or other? A GT 530 is an under-powered GPU that is surpassed by modern integrated graphics, no offense. I only ask this question in the unlikely event that someone in the community might have a hand-me-down GPU that they wouldn't mind parting with to help a fellow gamer.
I currently live in US, Florida My mom bought the computer for my brother a while back and i mean a WHILE roughly 8-10 years tbh so it all came pre built It is a Dell computer. Im not too savvy with computers and etc so if i dont know some things im sorry :/ The reason I know the GPU is overheating is because of HWInfo and MSIAfterBurner I will lyk my full specs shortly after checking my fan to see if it is actually running while my pc is on. Be back shortly!

Jan 2, 2020

My GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 530
CPU: Intel Core i5-2320 3.00 GHz
Ram: 6GB
64 Bit Operating System
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0GDG8Y (CPU 1)

Based on your motherboard and specs, I assume that you have this:

Dell Inspiron 620
https://www.newegg.com/dell-inspiron-620-student-home-office/p/N82E16883155334

What is your upgrade budget? Almost any used low power GPU (below 75 watts) would be an upgrade over your GT 530: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-vs-Intel-HD-2000-Desktop-11-GHz/m8407vsm7697

Upgrade to a GPU that can be powered by a 300 watt power supply.
I "think" the GTX 1650 (not a super) is the most powerful graphics card you can buy without needing an external PCIe cable connected to it. But honestly, I'm guessing that you could get away with buying a much less expensive graphics card, considering your previous GPU performance.

Addendum: You can currently buy a 2GB GT 730 on Ebay US for $25 - $35. It wouldn't be a much of an upgrade over GT 530, but more of a replacement. Perhaps someone else in the forum would have a better suggestion.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020
Based on your motherboard and specs, I assume that you have this:

Dell Inspiron 620
https://www.newegg.com/dell-inspiron-620-student-home-office/p/N82E16883155334

What is your upgrade budget? Almost any used low power GPU (below 75 watts) would be an upgrade over your GT 530: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-vs-Intel-HD-2000-Desktop-11-GHz/m8407vsm7697

Upgrade to a GPU that can be powered by a 300 watt power supply.
I "think" the GTX 1650 (not a super) is the most powerful graphics card you can buy without needing an external PCIe cable connected to it. But honestly, I'm guessing that you could get away with buying a much less expensive graphics card, considering your previous GPU performance.

Addendum: You can currently buy a 2GB GT 730 on Ebay US for $25 - $35. It wouldn't be a much of an upgrade over GT 530, but more of a replacement. Perhaps someone else in the forum would have a better suggestion.
Do you have an tips for me to know more or less which graphics cards can fit in my PC because i've tried looking it up and i just cant seem to find a way to know which ones can go with my pc